Notices

Info Needed

Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info Needed

I am new to this website , but have been a powerboat lover my whole life.

I need some advice. I'm looking to buy a boat but I have several questions. First let me tell you what I'm looking for.
- 35-49ft
- Looking to keep it under 200K
- Primarily going to be at LOTO but want to travel and do Poker Runs.

First question is whether I should be thinking about a cat or a v bottom? This is going to be my first big powerboat and I don't want to get in over my head. I have done a lot of boating but minimal with my own boat. I went with other people a lot because they had a bigger or faster boat.

Second question is what power. I love power and going fast (don't we all), but I actually am going to use the boat and dont want to have to rebuild the motors all the time. And again I don't want to get in over my head, because knowing me I will buy as much power as I can get. So I want other people's opinion on a good starting point.

Which bring me to my next question. At what point does the service cost get outrageous. I am kind of under the impression that the line is anything over 700HP. I know that with any motor I'm going to have to have them serviced, but there has be be some rule of thumb that over a certain point it is going to be pretty costly.

I think that is it for now but if I think of something else I will post it.

Thank You
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

A good place to start in your size range i think is a 35 or 38 ft. I would think being new to big power and new hulls any thing over that and u will start getting in over your head. motors wise i think the money starts going up with the 500s. the 500 efis call for a top end around 300 to 400 hours i have been told. more hp more money when it brakes and better chances for that to happen. a 35 donzi zr or the 38 would be a good boat. with the 525s and up u would be able to put up good mph numbers. i love my 33 zx. is a little older from before the zr came out but with the 500 efis i have pulled 82 out of it. Now about the cats i cant give u anything there i will leave that to someone elce good luck
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

travel and do poker runs. you need to find out the size at which over the road hauling is not really doable. a 35 (your min) is already a semi-trailer length load. some big dually pick ups can handle that. your max of 49 is well into semi truck territory.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 06-06-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered

You said this will be your first big powerboat, have you ever owned a boat before? if not $200k is alot to spend and the size could be overwhelming, It would be great to have this size boat but it can also bring on alot of anxiety trailering and loading. JMO. 525 will be good power and I would go V bottom for your first go fast.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Hey Buddy Wanna Buy a Good Watch real cheap !

For a fist time boat owner wanting to do a few poker runs, this would be my recommendation:
Take this very nice Sunsation, put two Raylar 525 kits on the nice stock 496's and you would have a 90 MPH -2001 model performance boat for under $70K - $49K + 2 Raylar kits installed @$19K and you're ready to go! This would be a hard to beat deal ! In my opinion.

EBay Motors -powerboats item #180200829957

Sorry did not know how to do a direct link, maybe someone else here will.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have never owned or driven a cat, insurance for one is going to kill you. There are many nice v bottom boats that will fill you need for speed.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was exactly where you are 10 years ago. Some things I learned:
1. LOTO is different than anywhere for boating. If you want a V bottom, get a big heavy wave crusher and sacrifice a bit of speed. If you plan on boating the big weekends ( mem. Day labor day and the 4th of July, you will regret not owning a good riding boat. A cig. 38 or larger, 42 fountain, big Donzi, etc would fit the bill. I had a 35 cigarette and got along great but that was before the cruisers got really out of hand.
2. You will be docking the boat more than you will be running down the lake, therefore I do not recommend staggered motors in a V hull as it just makes docking that much more difficult, especially if your are new to this. Cats are a cakewalk to dock as the drives are so far apart it's just like driving a skid steer bobcat. If you have never driven a skid steer go find one...the similarity is very valuable.
3. If speed is of the utmost concern, cats are the way to go. That said, they have their own issues and I would highly recommend taking a perfomance boat course to get comfortable. With mild (easy to maintain) power you can go fast. Big cats get expensive though and they are wider to tow and dock.
4. If you want a cabin, a V hull is the only way to go.
5. I am used to hauling big trailers so it doesn't bother me to tow big boats. There are nice big ramps at LOTO so it's really not an issue. You just have to plan ahead.

With all that said if I were you I would look at a nice 38 Cig (cause I like them ) and go enjoy the he'll out of it! Then if you want bigger speed and you get a decent buy on the boat you can always trade up to more power/a cat on the future.
Just my personal experience, yours may vary.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by specialk4900
I am new to this website , but have been a powerboat lover my whole life.

I need some advice. I'm looking to buy a boat but I have several questions. First let me tell you what I'm looking for.
- 35-49ft
- Looking to keep it under 200K
- Primarily going to be at LOTO but want to travel and do Poker Runs.

First question is whether I should be thinking about a cat or a v bottom? This is going to be my first big powerboat and I don't want to get in over my head. I have done a lot of boating but minimal with my own boat. I went with other people a lot because they had a bigger or faster boat.

Second question is what power. I love power and going fast (don't we all), but I actually am going to use the boat and dont want to have to rebuild the motors all the time. And again I don't want to get in over my head, because knowing me I will buy as much power as I can get. So I want other people's opinion on a good starting point.

Which bring me to my next question. At what point does the service cost get outrageous. I am kind of under the impression that the line is anything over 700HP. I know that with any motor I'm going to have to have them serviced, but there has be be some rule of thumb that over a certain point it is going to be pretty costly.

I think that is it for now but if I think of something else I will post it.

Thank You
If you don't know whether you want a 35ft V or a 50ft CAT then I think you need to do some research. You're criteria is so wide it is scary.

200k buys almost anything from a canoe to a 50ft Nortech.

Ask yourself some questions:

Am I going to Trailer
If so, do I have the appropriate truck
Am I going to overnight
How am I going to use the boat in general
What arrangement will I have for keeping the boat in the water (if any).
Are you comfortable jumping in a 50ft boat (or 35 for that matter) with no real experience

I'd bet that you can't even get insurance for a Cat. It's hard for me to imagine any insurance company whose underwriters have a product for "ZERO Experience, first time 50ft cat owner"
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered

What have you ridden in? Usually a ride along is how I love or hate a boat. Thought some time riding shotgun would narrow most everybody's wants, needs, likes, dislikes?

Good luck

Last edited by scarab63; 06-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Lake Boat vs. Offshore,,,,,Hmmmm.

40 would be good MAX for lake, 400 ft good for getting caught offshore in a storm, and sometimes that won't cut it either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhBBbxY72Xc

This bad boy is 900 feet long and still not long enough or enough freeboard.

But then some would say the CV63 has entered Apache water.

Last edited by 88Fount33; 06-07-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Apache, there I said it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.