Notices

prop size

Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop size

Hi im new here I have a 1988 cruisers rogue 2800 with twin 454s and bravo drives does anyone know what props came on this boat from the factory. The right hand was missing when I got it and the left hand was a 14.3 by 21 solas alum. With a bent fin so I perchased 2 14x22 4 blade applo stainless and my rps full trim are 4900 mabe some cavation @ full trim??? Soooo my question is should I go to a bigger diameter 3blade 21 pitch or should I go to a 14x23 3blade looking for more topend!!! Hole shot is good with the 22 4blade!!!!! Can anyone help!!!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Registered

Default You might get 100 different opinions here, so here is 101!

Find a good prop (generally repair) shoppe and tell them what the boat is doing and what you want it to do. Give them all the information you can as to hull shape, weight, outdrive specs... everything!

The perfect combination of all aspects of a prop is seldom available, but if it is a good shoppe they can let you know you might be sacrificing one thing to gain another.

If you are close with a "boxed" prop the repair shoppe can add or subtract to the prop to "tune it" in. I have had props stepped on so hard (de-tuned) you might think I was nuts, but the end product worked perfectly!

Generally these guys are truly professionals in their field and make it a lot easier to get to the end objective faster than experimenting with multiple props.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Registered

Thx for the info I finally got through to cruisers yahts the oe prop for that boat was 14x3/4 by 21 I am way to small on diameter so I ordered two stainless 3 blades so will see how it runs!!!!! Thx again