M8 drive issues behind 1350 Q4

Notices

M8 drive issues behind 1350 Q4

Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Gary, what type of oil do you run in your #6's?
Originally Posted by speicher lane
...and how long can the #6's live at 1800+ hp survive on your Skater before service or major failures?
I change oil and look for metal in oil twice a year.The main reason my drives are living is because of Vern Gilbert of West Coast drives.When he sets them up,he spends the time to check and adjust tooth contact via shiming.He gets them to have full contact evenly across the face of the gear and isnt satisfied until it does.He laps them in,assembles it,then takes it back apart till they are perfect.
His list of clients read like a whos who of boating.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skater40
The main reason my drives are living is because of Vern Gilbert of West Coast drives.When he sets them up,he spends the time to check and adjust tooth contact via shiming.He gets them to have full contact evenly across the face of the gear and isnt satisfied until it does.He laps them in,assembles it,then takes it back apart till they are perfect.
His list of clients read like a whos who of boating.
That is the way it should be done. More people should try that hard
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Gary, what type of oil do you run in your #6's?
Mercury suggests Torco gear lube. I use this and change filters once a year no problems.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

Amsoil synthetic 10w-40w motorcycle oil that Bob Teaque turned me on to.
Great stuff, same as I use in mine!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I don't see any M8 drive issues being discussed. Sounds good.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Registered

The gear ratios they offer are intended to keep the speeds down.They do have a new ratio for the M8 taller than the current 1.30 and 1.43.
As to the #6 horsepower ratings-i am living proof that they do live at 1800 plus.Several M8 owners have switched back to the #6 and gained substancial top end numbers thru lower slip.
Interesting
So is it purely a performance change or are there failures with the M8's as the original poster questioned?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:01 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Mercury suggests Torco gear lube. I use this and change filters once a year no problems.
Merc recommends the MTF because it can absorb water well. The torco rep suggested I use the RTF for a more severe duty application. For us, the MTF would get extremely dirty, and the RTF was marginally better. Matt at TNT sets our drives up as well. We will be trying the Bravo Shop NEO oil this summer.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Interesting
So is it purely a performance change or are there failures with the M8's as the original poster questioned?
I would have to assume it is the performance and /or better selection of gear ratios in the #6.The M8 has a bigger gear set in the lower which makes the bullet bigger and requires bigger diameter props thus higher slip numbers.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to assume it is the performance and /or better selection of gear ratios in the #6.The M8 has a bigger gear set in the lower which makes the bullet bigger and requires bigger diameter props thus higher slip numbers.
That makes sense.......extra durability, but a speed surcharge.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The gear ratios they offer are intended to keep the speeds down.They do have a new ratio for the M8 taller than the current 1.30 and 1.43.
As to the #6 horsepower ratings-i am living proof that they do live at 1800 plus.Several M8 owners have switched back to the #6 and gained substancial top end numbers thru lower slip.
I never had a drive problem with my 6's. Very minimal maintenece and lots of abuse! Now my engines on the other hand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.