Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   sonic 35ss (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27841-sonic-35ss.html)

audacity 07-02-2002 11:01 AM

B sure to set your carbs up!!!u got new 1's right???

good luck bro!

Jayl13 07-02-2002 11:09 AM

no stocker rochesters for now.
spread bores (as were all of them)
I do have the adapter plates to convert to square bore.
I was thinking the edelbrock marine carbs but I looked at one and to me, it is nothing more than a rebuilt rochester (lots of improvements though)
Im thinking over the winter im going to pick up 2 demons 750's or maybe 800's
Depends on how the rochester 750's do.
dumping more fuel in there is not always the answer.
I dont really care about fuel consumption but I dont want to be filling this thing every 2 hours ya know.

That was one thing i was going to do, new carbs but had to hold off due to budget reasons (wife)
Im doing okay, im about 13 thou into it so far so for 2 nearly 500 HP engines, all new everything that I could get i dont think im doing too bad.
im really Jonesing though to get this thing wet
go out for the 4th and spend a few hours cruising around 3000 or so RPM's for break in period.
after that ill lay into it a little bit but break in will determine how long they are going to last.

Joe, Break in , 20 minutes in different RPM's on trailer, shut it down, change oil and filter, then run for about 3-4-5 hours, change oil, then am I good to go?
Jason

Sorry for treading on your thread YZbert

audacity 07-02-2002 12:24 PM

if it's a flat t then i do a cam B/I on land...do not idle it too slow bro!...then change the earl and let that thing have it after you know it right!....do your plug chops and dial in those carbs!

Jayl13 07-02-2002 12:41 PM

Just a standard hydraulic cam nothing fancy
Not roller assembly or anything like that.
Jason

yzbert 07-02-2002 03:14 PM

thanks for the info,
sounds like a good fit. yes have wife and two kids and the 32 fountain is getting a little cramped. no maybe alot. need a better ride out of the boat as well. speed cocerns me but ride and cabin unfort. at this point out way speed.

thanks

yzbert 07-02-2002 03:17 PM

too old
if i end up with the 35 will you paint over the baby blue portion of the boat for me? what are they thinking with some of those colors?

audacity 07-02-2002 03:21 PM

you could buy the AUDACITY!!!LOL...then you can have both!

Sonicdriver 07-02-2002 03:52 PM

JB IS RIGHT!
In my experience with the sonics I can tell you that if you want to sleep on the boat by yourself, you better be pretty loaded to sleep through the night. If you expect to sleep in the v berth with your wife, you better give her a ruffie because niether of you will be comfortable. The reason is because the walk around deck makes the v berth very small.

As far as speed, I would think high seventies would be a reasonable expectation with 500's. I say this because my 358 with 500 EFI's and Extention Boxes consistantly goes 74 on GPS. I saw 76 with perfect conditions. Yes my 358 had all the goodies except for the generator.

yzbert 07-02-2002 03:54 PM

joey i dont think can afford your boat. would be nice though.

yzbert 07-02-2002 04:23 PM

vee-berth size can't be smaller than my 32 fountain cant it? headroom has to be a lot more, width? maybe less. hatch up front would be nice.