Looking for advice on next boat

Notices

Looking for advice on next boat

Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on next boat

Hey Guys,

I've been running my '86 26' Nova II for a couple years now. I like the boat and how it handles, and I have been working on cleaning up some cosmetics. Its got 2 stock 260hp 350s and fresh Alphas spinning 3-blade cleaver props. Overall I am happy with the boat but looking for more speed. I have been searching and reading up all over here about the hull and I know the fact is these aren't built for speed but it was a good introduction into this style boat. I know I could build some ridiculous engines and get into the 70's with it, but I'll never get anything out of it since it is a 26yr old boat.

So, with all that said, I want to start saving towards the next new boat. I know of all the big names, cigarette, hustler, outerlimits, etc that I could go with but we are all on some sort of budget and I have to be realistic with my other hobbies. I would like to get something capable of the speed ranges 70's-90's at least built in the mid 1990's or later. I want it to be able to operate in those ranges safely and still be fun for family and friends. It also needs to be towable and I am thinking no more than 35' or so long.

What sorts of hulls do you guys recommend? I would be boating in mainly rivers and occasionally a bay on the east coast. I've got a 1 ton dually so towing won't be an issue. Please let me know if I am overlooking something or if you guys need any other info from me.

Thanks for all the help and information that has been provided so far and I look to this site constantly for good advice friends.

-Josh
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to be boating on rivers and in bays just about anything will work. You have the truck to tow just about any boat so this should really come down to price and style. Getting over 70 mph is easily done with most twin screw boats. Baja, powerquest, nordic, fountain...Take your pick.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sunsation 32 Dominator might be something to look at. On most boats that are in the 30-32 foot range you could probably get into the 70's with twin small blocks. Cheaper and more dependable than a big block, IMO.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Registered

Default Thanks!

Thanks, I'd say price I would like to keep no more than 20K if that is possible. I know at this price there may be some work needed on the boat, which will be fine. Knowing that the speed bug bites (hence the current upgrade) would there be one better over the other in terms of approaching the higher end of the range? I accidently limited myself with the Nova in terms of speed and handling and I wouldn't want to do this again. Would a scarab be a good option, or should I stick to some of the others listed?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

find an older 33 fountain.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Formula 272/292/311. Some of the best construction and quality. Low 70's isn't hard but they will run stable well into the 80's. The fountain 10m is going to be fast, but a bit less family friendly from a space aspect I think. The baja's aren't quite the quality of the fountain or formula, but they generally have large cockpits for their size, making the good for entertaining.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For 20K you are probably looking at something pre-1990, if you are wanting to be over 30 feet. Either that, or something with a ton of hours and wear and tear on it.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Registered

Default Other considerations...

Well, here is where I stand now. I am happy with the boat we have (nova referenced in original post) I am just wanting some more speed. I would say 26-29 would be OK It doesn't need to be over 30 as what we have now is fine space wise. I know some brands have more or less cockpit space, and I would say that is the area that is key for us. The cabin is only used to get out of the sun for a bit and to store stuff for day trips.

I know the Nova hull isn't really designed to be a speed setter, and from what I have read getting it into the 70's would require some big $$$ motors or conversion to big blocks. This is why I started this search for the next one.

What would you guys say is a good budget for something that is safer at speeds of 70+ not trying to hit 90s really, just be decently quick on the water. Trying to keep it in the mid 1990's I guess as I know anything over 2000 will be way out of my budget.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Older Velocity.
This sold last year for low 20s.
http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/o...30%20Velocity/

Last edited by Stormrider; 06-20-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I think you need to adjust your budget to $30K minimum for a 26ft+ boat capable of 70+.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.