Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Video: Boostpower Schiada Idling >

Video: Boostpower Schiada Idling

Notices

Video: Boostpower Schiada Idling

Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a customer of Alexiz and I have seen this boat in person at the shop and the mill is the crown jewel on top of a veritable gear head junky feast.

It is an absolutely fantastic piece of work from the parts themselves to the attention to detail in the rigging to the construction of the boat.

Even the details have details.

This boat can go from a kitten to complete unadulterated savagery the likes of which few can comprehend with a tickle of your foot all completely controllable and completely reliably.

To the prior posters question yes that is a TH400- not an uncommon thing in V-drive boats. So you can come out of the box and - then shift up.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 12-04-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You would need the TH400 when pulling a skier for gearing down with load and then for speed. Makes sense.

Wannabe
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wannabe
You would need the TH400 when pulling a skier for gearing down with load and then for speed. Makes sense.

Wannabe
This boat wouldn't need the TH to pull a house off its foundation- but its sure got to be fun to blast out of teh hole like a drag boat shift that puppy up at near redline and feel it yank you down the lake.

Take a look at the top gun boat with a twin turbo 540 and a #6 (making a mere 1300HP)

This is a single gear application and it pulls the 2 guys out of the hole with authority.

These guys got stones- thats for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Ggn2vFp7PsQ#!

A V drive is a lot stronger than a number 6 and with almost twice the ponies Alexis boat would run harder and cheaper in the long run.

UD
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen that video and I think the guys behind the boat have got chrome molys between their legs. I wouldn't ever go over 50 on a set of skis. I went 45 once and thought I was gonna die if I tripped. It was on Pine Lake behind my buddys correct craft which topped out at 45.

Wannabe
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
This boat wouldn't need the TH to pull a house off its foundation- but its sure got to be fun to blast out of teh hole like a drag boat shift that puppy up at near redline and feel it yank you down the lake.

Take a look at the top gun boat with a twin turbo 540 and a #6 (making a mere 1300HP)

This is a single gear application and it pulls the 2 guys out of the hole with authority.

These guys got stones- thats for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Ggn2vFp7PsQ#!

A V drive is a lot stronger than a number 6 and with almost twice the ponies Alexis boat would run harder and cheaper in the long run.

UD
Top Gun runs a Turbo 400 transmission with 2 speeds. The gear change is just so smooth you can't pick it in the video.
Almost all twin turbo leg boats in ski racing run a 2 speed transmission these days. The engines are cam'd and tuned for max power at 6000+ rpm so they are a real slug out of the hole before boost comes on hence the use of the tranny.
Not a lot of v drives run a tranny, so the boost power schiada is a little unique. The only reason I can think of why is most lower budget teams run v drives to keep costs and maintenance down, so they probably don't want to spend the money on a tranny as well.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FMLEu1q_Uk
This is a link to a video of our v drive without tranny to give you an idea of the difference in hole shot. Once she's moving though it boogies!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
This boat can go from a kitten to complete unadulterated savagery the likes of which few can comprehend with a tickle of your foot . . . .
lol, well put

just because i am curious. Is there an advantage to running turbos AND a supercharger thats better then just running either with more boost? I do realize the "ghee whiz" factor ts through the roof on this set up though lol.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
Top Gun runs a Turbo 400 transmission with 2 speeds. The gear change is just so smooth you can't pick it in the video.
Almost all twin turbo leg boats in ski racing run a 2 speed transmission these days. The engines are cam'd and tuned for max power at 6000+ rpm so they are a real slug out of the hole before boost comes on hence the use of the tranny.
Not a lot of v drives run a tranny, so the boost power schiada is a little unique. The only reason I can think of why is most lower budget teams run v drives to keep costs and maintenance down, so they probably don't want to spend the money on a tranny as well.
This is a link to a video of our v drive without tranny to give you an idea of the difference in hole shot. Once she's moving though it boogies!
Interesting I looked at that rig on the website and didnt see it and it wasnt mentioned on the front pages but - I didnt click all the links - but thats really cool Ive never seen an outdrive with a TH- thats phat.

Thanks for the info and sorry to mislead in my other post - I couldn't see it shift - just figured it was a small turbo deal.
When I went back and watched it again I could see it- but nice work on how smooth it is.

Ill check out your clip.

Thing with V drives is under 100 they are really inefficient Hot boat did a comparison about 15 -20 years ago using identical (I think Coles) and the outdrive boat needed far less boost to get to 100 but the tables reversed over 100 and the held view was that above 100 the v drive handles better. - given very few guys really go 100+ it doesnt make sense for alot of guys. They will hold power for sure though.

Curious how many hours you get out of the 6?

I had a house in Parker for a decade so Im used to seeing TH's in Schiadas, Coles and a Hondo or two- but thats a unique place in the boating world for sure.

Thanks!

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 12-08-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
Is it the crazy horse video? - if so yeah.... - huge difference.

Thanks again

UD
Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compound boat test

Here is a short video of the boat running. 72hrs on it now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CypQt...RrpASWV1WzIcbA
Originally Posted by Jeff P31
OK lets see the water test . They all sound good sitting on the trailer. And for a 139K it want's to be good.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah! What a sweet sound!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.