Notices

Raft Up Rules

Old 07-02-2002, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeing a new addition to the "how to guide" section forming already! LOL!

I'll consolidate the list in a couple days and give it to the board gods.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:59 PM
ssherman

And never pull in the opposite direction and tie nose to transom (makes for terrible aeriel shots) but they do it at Havasu all the time must be a desert thing

Old 07-02-2002, 06:58 PM
Registered

Ain't nothing like someone elses boat to fend off all the incoming huh, Too Old
Robert
Old 07-02-2002, 08:31 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Call me pretentious or just plain anal, but I carry 4 fenders, the smallest of which is 10" in diameter (two 10's, two 12's). I have a lot of friends with bigger boats than mine, and the bigger fenders help a lot. Also, I have a custom paint job on both sides, bigger fenders, less worry, less damage. The only damage to my paint job in the 8 years I have had my boat is from a 35 Fountain where his stainless rub rail screws scratched up the paint when a fender fell into the water while we were trying to leave the wall in Grand Haven. I believe I have had only this slight damage due to my keeping MORE fenders than I really need. And I ALWAYS offer to use mine when people raft up to me. Chances are mine are bigger anyway!! LOL!!! There's a sex joke there somewhere........

Anyway, I like tying up to new people, great way to meet new friends.

Mike
Old 07-02-2002, 08:49 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I've read some good stuff here. My irritant is the approaching boater unprepared to come along side. When that happens I push'em away and instruct them to get set up properly BEFORE nearing the raft-up. Typically around here we have the additional problem of tidal currents which are always running either in or out with a very short slack period. This adds to the importance of being prepared with the right bumpers and pre-rigged lines and a proper approach. Ideally one should come within a few feet of the rafted boat so that the bow and stern lines can be tossed over and be carefully pulled in. Also captains, never turn off the engine until the lines are tied. On that same note, never untie and toss the lines until the captain of the departing boat is ready and the engine is started (keep in mind currents/winds).

Departing from the inside should be a coordinated effort as well with all the boat owners involved present and ready to begin. Otherwise with the current and winds it could be nasty...
Old 07-02-2002, 09:35 PM
Banned

My only question is, what's a rope? I don't have any on my boat.

All good points, I have never rafted up, and wondered about the protocol. We usually anchor in shallow water with others. A point to remember when doing this is to bring two anchors. Where we go, the wind and tide change frequently, and one boat with no stern anchor is a pain in the a$$. I carry a very small danfort for this, the size you would use on a jon boat. It is amazing how well these little things hold. It held my boat and my buddies 25 footer when he forgot his. I have on occasion forgotten my stern anchor, because I rotate it with the three different boats I take out. I guess I should get off $20 and buy two more.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I carry a second anchor also. An 8lb navy anchor that if I simply drop it straight off the transom, the boat doesn't swing. Works like a charm.

Geez, with all the sruff I carry on board my 24 foot boat, it's a wonder I ever get on plane!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 09:50 PM
MIdnightRider

MIke are you in GH on Thursday? Were doing Hanky, but were going elswhere for the rest of the weekend. Chad

Old 07-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Chad, I'm heading up to Traverse for the weekend. Blue Angles rock!! And my parents have a place up there so FREE ROOM AND BOARD!!!!! Can't get much cheaper than that. Got a $900 bill for the rear end on my truck today. Kinda puts a kink in the vacation plans.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Have clean fendors so they don't scratch the paint or gel. I have seen some nasty ones from people going through locks or tied to dirty docks.

Quick Reply: Raft Up Rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.