OSO email / Sea Tow ad/spam >

OSO email / Sea Tow ad/spam

Notices

OSO email / Sea Tow ad/spam

Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OSO email / Sea Tow ad/spam

I received an email from OSO newsletter and inside is an ad for Sea Tow membership... Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Sea Tow developed a negative image here on OSO for taking advantage of the maritime salvage laws and other shady practices? I have have a Boat Tow US and it was half the price (for unlimited inland lakes towing, including the great lakes). Maybe I have Sea Tow mixed up with another company...... If I do let me know. Not that I am you go to leave Boat US. They have been great to work with, not to mention their other services like fighting for boaters rights, etc.

Last edited by low_psi; 06-21-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I got the "Dealsletter" too. I guess OSO is venturing out into the mass marketing bidness. I don't have a prob with OSO sending me an email, but if they SELL my addy to other marketing firms, then I will be pissed!!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Me2
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generally speaking Sea Tow has little respect here...

In the relatively short time I have been on this forum Sea Tow has taken some really hard and seems well earned hits.

But then, so has Tow Boat.

On the forum discussion http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...lls-sinks.html
there was a post which was fairly much right on point. They are contractors/franchises and it varies from location to location (quality of service).

The wisdom might be to examine the services where you spend most of your time and go the direction of the best reviews. Where I spend MOST of my time it is a no brainer, but there are other areas where I spend a fair amount of time and I would prefer the other color tow boat, but I am not going to belong to both.

In the marina there are boaters who swear by Red and ones who swear by Yellow and the discussions can get very heated! Have learned to not discuss politics or tow companies!

Last edited by Florida Floater; 06-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

You guys make a good point. Aside from the Sea Tow issue, as one of the advertisers on that newsletter I would like some feedback before I do it again.

Do you think it is a good idea to put specials on there or do you think it is just more spam to delete? I sure don't want to participate in something that is annoying!

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Registered

Default My vote is a tentative yes

I do not mind OSO using the membership list for their own promotions as long as:
1. They do not sell the list
2. They have an opt-out provision
3. What they are offering are truly deals.

Won't know for a while if they are selling the list, but I believe when I joined there was something about not providing the list to anyone else.

There is an opt-out option at the bottom of the Dealsletter.

I only checked one item, the FUSION MS-IP700 Marine iPod Dock/Sirius/AM/FM Stereo, and it seems to be considerably cheaper at Amazon.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't remeber 10 years ago wen I signed up if I agreed to getting marketing emails but this is the first time. I think an updated TOS first would have been a better idea before sending out the email. I also just deleted it with a quick glance. I'm the type of person who looks for something when I need it, not when an ad is sent to me. Includes snail mail also. I sit in front on my recycling bin on the way up the driveway reading the mail. Only what I think is semi important even makes it through the front door. All ads to straight into the trash.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

OSO had a pop-up last week with information on the updated privacy policy- has anyone read the new policy? Wondering if this was one of the times I should have actually opened and read the pop-up..

Rick
Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Default OSO response

Hi all,

Just thought we could easily clear up some things here and going forward.

The email list is held exactly the same way as it was before. No dealsletter advertisers have access to your email address, even if you click on the link and go to their site. The only way an advertiser will have access to your email address is if you specifically give it to them. We have never sold email addresses to anyone.

Should you wish to unsubscribe, there is an opt-out link in all emails. If you choose to unsubscribe you will no longer receive the newsletter or any promotional offers. Should you have signed up to receive thread alert emails from particular threads, you will continue to receive those.

Regarding last week's privacy policy update, that was an effort to unite the policies of Internet Brands' (the owners of OSO) 200+ websites into a single policy for every site. Our TOS has not changed.

Thank you,

Paul
Community Manager
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm. I never saw any update, but then I use my iPhone for much of my browsing.