The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors >

The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors

Notices

The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors

Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors

The Devil is in the Details My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors

So I recently rebuilt my 500 EFI's, after 500 hours at 5000 RPM they needed some love. Since we were in there, new powdercoat on all the brackets, motor mounts, boxes, etc as well as hit the bilge for days with a sander and new paint. The motors should kind of match so a little red over the Mercury blue.

Everything went according to plan, I got the long blocks back from Native, and with the help of Jason at BRAND X, I dressed the motors and put it all back.

The hose test great, the water test not so good. One motor was down on RPM and we were slow. I began to check everything. Fuel pressure, ignition, timing, everything I and all the experts could think of. We drilled it down to a bad injector on number 3, so I call Marc Berman at BAM as I need a new injector. Marc of course said I doubt it, and then asked me, "How do I Know this to be true". Listen I told him, I checked, timing, ignition, spark, the plug is brand new white and so there is no fuel flowing.

Marc said he would prove me wrong and asked me to bring all my injectors to his shop. So I quickly pulled the plenums popped out all of the injectors and watched an interesting demonstration.

All of the injectors were tested as is and sure enough not only #3, but #7 as well were not delivering fuel as they should be, then all the injectors went through a multi stage ultrasonic cleaning process, new filters/screens and were retested. The results were dramatic and the final sea trail was perfect. (Now I need new props).

I now have to admit if I had a carburetors, without hesitation or recommendation I would have cleaned/rebuilt the carbs, injectors, it never crossed my mind to do this.

The cost of all 16 injectors to be tested, cleaned, re-tested was less than the cost of 1 new one.

I of course have to thank all my boating friends/experts for all the help. Marc at BAM, Jason at BRANDX, Mark at Precision, and Tony at Native.

My recommendation, Call Marc at BAM Marine and have him check your injectors, amazing difference and it was easy and cheap! www.BAMMARINE.com
Attached Thumbnails The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors-dsc00194.jpg  

Last edited by bcschoe; 06-22-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Great story...those engines look nice and go great with one of the best paint jobs on any boat. Your boat is the perfect example of classic good looks without the kitchen sink schemes today's painters seem to be stuck on.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
The Devil is in the Details My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors

So I recently rebuilt my 500 EFI's, after 500 hours at 5000 RPM they needed some love. Since we were in there, new powdercoat on all the brackets, motor mounts, boxes, etc as well as hit the bilge for days with a sander and new paint. The motors should kind of match so a little red over the Mercury blue.

Everything went according to plan, I got the long blocks back from Native, and with the help of Jason at BRAND X, I dressed the motors and put it all back.

The hose test great, the water test not so good. One motor was down on RPM and we were slow. I began to check everything. Fuel pressure, ignition, timing, everything I and all the experts could think of. We drilled it down to a bad injector on number 3, so I call Mark Berman at BAM as I need a new injector. Mark of course said I doubt it, and then asked me, "How do I Know this to be true". Listen I told him, I checked, timing, ignition, spark, the plug is brand new white and so there is no fuel flowing.

Mark said he would prove me wrong and asked me to bring all my injectors to his shop. So I quickly pulled the plenums popped out all of the injectors and watched an interesting demonstration.

All of the injectors were tested as is and sure enough not only #3, but #7 as well were not delivering fuel as they should be, then all the injectors went through a multi stage ultrasonic cleaning process, new filters/screens and were retested. The results were dramatic and the final sea trail was perfect. (Now I need new props).

I now have to admit if I had a carburetors, without hesitation or recommendation I would have cleaned/rebuilt the carbs, injectors, it never crossed my mind to do this.

The cost of all 16 injectors to be tested, cleaned, re-tested was less than the cost of 1 new one.

I of course have to thank all my boating friends/experts for all the help. Mark at BAM, Jason at BRANDX, Mark at Precision, and Tony at Native.

My recommendation, Call Mark at BAM Marine and have him check your injectors, amazing difference and it was easy can cheap! www.BAMMARINE.com
great to here, I had a Q for him 2 weeks ago and left a message late. he called back after the weekend but we figured it out. It was nice of him to call back. I bought a drive plate from them 2 yrs ago, great people. Artie
Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indy
great story...those engines look nice and go great with one of the best paint jobs on any boat. Your boat is the perfect example of classic good looks without the kitchen sink schemes today's painters seem to be stuck on.
+1
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Post a picture of the whole package.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Registered

Great Story Brad, and excellent job Marc. Being an outboard guy I don't buy a lot of new Merc parts, but every chance I get I send people to BAM, and every once in a while the old weedwacker motor does need some service, so the gaskets and filters come from BAM. Come to think of it, I have a set of intake and reedplate gaskets on top of my toolbox that I bought from Marc a few months ago with the intention of pulling my injectors and sending them for service, then Memorial day rolled round, and it never got done. I completely forgot that BAM did injector service, so if you see this Marc, PM me a price for 6 outboard injectors, and I'll bring them down next week some time.

Rick
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear a good story, with a happy ending!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Hey Rick that would be great.

Here is a link to the special deal we put in the new-and-somewhat-controversial-oso-newsletter

http://www.bammarine.com/BAMProducts..._EFI_DEAL.aspx

Brad, nice job, you didn't show me the pictures! I'm partial to red

Last edited by Mbam; 06-22-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Love the Red engines.

Can we hook up & get the cig DVD

Last edited by lucky strike; 06-22-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wananewboat
post a picture of the whole package.
ok truck and boat are 2001, trailer is 2003
Attached Thumbnails The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors-dsc00193.jpg   The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors-imag0002_cover-5-.jpg   The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors-imag0053.jpg  

The Devil is in the Details, My story with BAM Marine and new fuel injectors-imag0002_cover-3-.jpg  

Last edited by bcschoe; 06-22-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.