Commentary: The Spin on 190 >

Commentary: The Spin on 190

Notices

Commentary: The Spin on 190

Old 06-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Boats spinning out on constricted bodies of water that share space with kids on jet skies at speeds anywhere near approaching 190mph are what give enemies of our sport ammunition to make laws where common sense should have prevailed - but didn't.

Matt has been a great advocate for our sport and in all the years I have been reading his articles I"ve never once seen him write anything reactionary or off-the-handle. Don't shoot the messenger.

Thank God no one was hurt.
Yep......agree with all of this post.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

And that's being kind.
Hitting the hornets nest with a stick is one thing; but the post you refer is in serious bad taste.

On a different note; Great article!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
I would have hit the mother phucker!!!
You are a fvcking moron.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a lot of go fast boat owners now that have more than one boat. Be it a CC, pontoon, ski boat, whatever. I feel pretty confident in saying that when they're out there with their family, the last thing they would think is cool, is a boat doing a wide, sweeping turn near them at 190 mph.

Just like having a corvette, or any serious car, takes a mature person to understand safe and common sense, it's the same way on the water. Unfortunately, the accidents take place every single year. Mostly drunks, but some just funnin around. It's already ruined night boating, on many rivers people are too scared to go out, and on many lakes people from pontoons and up have to deal with speed limits because of the crazies.

Matt is right. I continue to be amazed that anyone can see anything at those speeds, much less a PWC or kayak or whatever. Three miles a second. I know for certain my eyes aren't that good, I wonder if anyone's really are. There's a reason drag races and racing in general isn't allowed on the roadways. Nobody else would stand a chance.

Not an indictment of performance boating. Just some boaters, many of whom have ruined boating in general in many areas. The first time you hit anything will be your last. At those speeds, it probably would be the very last thing you do.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Arrow

Originally Posted by VtSteve
a boat doing a wide, sweeping turn near them at 190 mph.

... Three miles a second....
That equates to 10,800 mph

Maybe .05 of a mile in 1 second at 190 mph. Or, 3 miles per minute.

However I agree with your other comments

A dangerous formula for disaster not "IF" but "WHEN".
Old 06-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Personally I thought the article was premature and not up to the quality that I have come to expect from Mr. Trullio's reporting. The " Unconfirmed reports" are leading to many speculations about the irresponsible actions of the crew aboard of MY WAY. The use of "Unconfirmed reports" is not explaining the entire scenario as it played out by the players involved but there is an onus of fault on MY WAY (even though no one apparently knows the real story in it's entirety) or even how fast the boat was even running.

There are rules to right of way for operating a vessel including a PWC - ever see a PWC actually respect the rules of the road? If MY WAY was negligent in obeying the right of way of the PWC then lay the blame on the operators of the MYSTIC. If a PWC was involved and in violation of MY WAY's right of way... well we do not know do we??? nothing is substantiated 100% - just speculated but personal opinions are being made - same as the 28 pages of the 29OL rollover.

As far as the comment about running down the PWC, although it's definitely not politically correct - talk to a long haul trucker about how they handle cars that cut them off traveling down the interstate. If they have run the roads long enough they will probably tell you that they don't swerve or lift the throttle - not worth it to save one dumb a$$ and cause injury or death to themselves or anyone following behind or along side while they take evasive maneuvers to miss the offending vehicle. That car, just keeps driving home safe and sound while everyone else (and their families) involved deals with the aftermath and the tragedy...
Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Personally I thought the article was premature and not up to the quality that I have come to expect from Mr. Trullio's reporting. The " Unconfirmed reports" are leading to many speculations about the irresponsible actions of the crew aboard of MY WAY. The use of "Unconfirmed reports" is not explaining the entire scenario as it played out by the players involved but there is an onus of fault on MY WAY (even though no one apparently knows the real story in it's entirety) or even how fast the boat was even running.

There are rules to right of way for operating a vessel including a PWC - ever see a PWC actually respect the rules of the road? If MY WAY was negligent in obeying the right of way of the PWC then lay the blame on the operators of the MYSTIC. If a PWC was involved and in violation of MY WAY's right of way... well we do not know do we??? nothing is substantiated 100% - just speculated but personal opinions are being made - same as the 28 pages of the 29OL rollover.

As far as the comment about running down the PWC, although it's definitely not politically correct - talk to a long haul trucker about how they handle cars that cut them off traveling down the interstate. If they have run the roads long enough they will probably tell you that they don't swerve or lift the throttle - not worth it to save one dumb a$$ and cause injury or death to themselves or anyone following behind or along side while they take evasive maneuvers to miss the offending vehicle. That car, just keeps driving home safe and sound while everyone else (and their families) involved deals with the aftermath and the tragedy...
Think you need to reread this :
"To me, the details of what happened are irrelevant. What is relevant is the 400-pound gorilla sitting on my keyboard and in the back of more than a few minds.

What was the boat doing at that speed in such an uncontrolled environment, the kind where any vessel—a personal watercraft for example—could stray into its path?"

and then ask yourself who in their right mind would drive a boat at speeds possibly approaching 190mph or 150 mph in a uncontrolled environment ?

Last edited by Interceptor; 06-24-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right of way rules

RULE 6
Safe Speed
Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she
can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped
within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and
conditions.

RULE 7
Risk of Collision
(a) Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to the
prevailing circumstances and conditions to determine if risk of
collision exists. If there is any doubt such risk shall be deemed to
exist.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Very well said. Personally, I think the only SAFE way to go over 100mph is on the race course...but honestly the boats racing are going too fast these days anyway in the big classes. When a Formula 1 team starts to go "too" fast, they restrict them. Theres also a reason Nascar has basically been going the same speed for 15 years...restrictions. What do we do in the offshore world? Add two more engines or turbines and go even faster...
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

OK my dad and I were in last place ( if there were places) and we saw bill in eel bay for people who know the area there's no way he was going 190 there!!!! bill loves speed but he's not an idiot! !!! And at the evening banquet there was nothing said about any close calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.