Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Blueprinting hulls... (info quest) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27924-blueprinting-hulls-info-quest.html)

RedWarlock 07-03-2002 12:23 AM

Blueprinting hulls... (info quest)

What can one expect from doing this? I have been told I can expect a 2 - 5 mph increase, and significant handling improvement. I don't have room in my engine compartment for a blower, and can't presently cut the decklid , (wife likes to sun herself there...) so I'm looking for alternatives to increase performance. I've got a stout 454 Mag MPI @ 385 bhp, and presently am running mid 70's @ 5k rpm. I am also looking into engine modification to increase power. Any and all input is appreciated! :cool:

RedWarlock 07-03-2002 09:55 AM

TTT :)

Shorty 07-03-2002 10:07 AM

Look up "FRY" from Team Liquid on this board. He's got an F1 Warlock. I talked to him at the St. Louis boat show and he said he had the hull blueprinted. Sounded pretty happy with it.

Wardey 07-03-2002 10:07 AM

Red - It all depends on your bottom, Rocker, Hooks, Straightness, etc....Wardey

Cord 07-03-2002 10:11 AM

My guess is that 5mph would be if you had something wrong with the bottom. ie a hook. I'm thinking that 2 mph would be optomistic for just sharpening and straightening. Dollar for dollar, I'd think you'd be better off saving the money for a whipple.

32storm 07-03-2002 10:12 AM

The big question is what is your hull bottom like to start with. When the hull bottom is blue-printed, it is being made as perfect as possible. The primary area of concern is the wetted surface when running on plane. Depending upon who does the work, shops that do this will typ. sand, gel, re-sand, gel, re-sand, etc. Some times dye will be used to uncover low spots, etc. In addition, strakes will be reworked for straightness & sharpness, and blending at trailing edge as needed. Yes, some shops claim that 2-5 MPH increase can be obtained. But, if the hull is already flat, sharp, etc, it is possible to spend the $ and not achieve any gain.

Cord 07-03-2002 10:17 AM

Mach1-is "Fry" a real little fellow? Oh, maybe 5'6" say...150lbs? Just thinking that I meet him once. Seemed like a pretty friendly fellow.

RedWarlock 07-03-2002 10:20 AM

Thanks!!!

The shop I bought her from has offered to do a free analysys on it to see if the hull actually needs it. I may take them up on it...

Cord, I'm a FAR cry from 150lbs!!!(6'2 250lbs) LOL :p Do they make a Whipple that doesn't involve cutting the deck? The wife has a BIG problem with that...:rolleyes: I recall seeing a blower that "bolts on" with out cosmetic changes to the boat, but can't remember where?!?!

laster 07-03-2002 10:40 AM

Red, it varies by boat but I just installed a Whipple on my 24 Progression. You can not tell from outside except for the water dump from the intercooler. The overall height is about 1.5" taller (maybe less) than the stock motor and that is only in a small area. Clearance is more likely a problem in front. Do you have room between your engine and bulkhead/rear seat? Should put you in the upper 80's. Of course you will need external steering at those speeds.

FunHome 07-03-2002 10:48 AM

I thought you weren't able to Blueprint the bottom of Factory Race boats? But then again that was back in the early days of Factory Racing!
Brad