Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Prop selection issues   HELP PLEASE >

Prop selection issues HELP PLEASE

Notices

Prop selection issues HELP PLEASE

Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBC Liberator sounds like you are using a ballistic prop which one do you have your boat? what kind of numbers do you get with yours?

my holeshot is actulay very nice with this prop now. actualy better than last year.....sure it has to do with the slip. I start out with drive almost 100% down, tabs full down i easy it up to around 2000-2300 rpm at that point the bow is just starting to lift, and from there is give throttle, normaly just enough to get into the 4 bbl, she actualy only takes a few seconds to get up onto plane and the rpms are above 4000 as speed finaly start to equal out i pull back to a nice cruise speed. the raise drive some and tabs to level out I would say planing time from the 2000 mark to when i feel the back rise up is not much more than 3 or 4 seconds with almost no bow rise. While sittling if seats i never loose sight of the water in front of me. Last year the nose would defenatly stand a little more cause i would loose sight of the water in front for a second or two

Last edited by bens87241; 06-28-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Registered

I can totally understand that, I'd try a 21" Ballistic then, they are tough to beat, and like I said, it seems like Liberators love them, best on my 211, it's the best on my 221 and I boat with two 241's that run them, they just wish they had a 20" one for a better holeshot with a loaded boat.

I run a 21" but have a worked over BBC and see about 66 on GPS @ 5150 with a 1.43 OMC drive. This is on a 221 as noted.

Good luck!

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 06-28-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Registered

there is a new ballistic 14 3/8 21 pitch on ebay for 275 sound like a normal price on one of these. I should be able to get my hands on the friends mirage plus 14 5/8 23 pitch this weekend. I am figuring on it being too much for my boat but should answer my questions on stuff. I assuming i will be slow out of the hole and low in the rpms but should have a good maybe mph with hopefuly little slip. if so maybe a ballistic is the way to go. just looks like they cut off the tups of the blade which i figured would be were the load is carried. just assumed they worked well on lighter boats not big tanks like mine. but it sounds like even these fat girls like them too

thanks for the help will keep everyone posted on what goes down
Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Registered

tried the mirage plus 23 pitch over the weekend its clearly way to much pitch. Hole shot not too bad, rpms were low at wid open throttle only 3900-4000 speed was up to 44 so that is still almost 25% of slip cruising rpm of near 3000 netted me about 31-32 mph still alot of slip???? So clearly there is an issue with my 21pitch prop any idea why the 23 pitch would have so much. are these boats really bad going through the water........when running on plane it feels like the nose is pretty level to water......not up in attitude. I can only trim my drive up maybe just like 2 seconds on the button before it starts to blow out. My trim gauge does not work so i dont have any real way to know where it is for sure. but when down it lake like 6 seconds before trips the limit switch. felt good that i made some improvement till a 27 scarab with 6 ppl blows me lol

BBCliberator the 241 you boat with if you get a chance see if they are running the omc drives and ford or the chevy and mercruisers....be nice to kow what mph and rpms they are running at and if they are mostly stk motors

to me the mid 20s slip still sounds high.....would a 4 blade help get me some more blade surface on the water to improve these number
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

They both run 460 fords and omc's and run just over 50mph, I think they run somewhere in the 4500 range but I'm not 100% sure, I'll let you know. I have read in several liberator threads that they like 4-blade props, but have no first hand experience...

Sometime when you don't know where to start going back to stock is the right move, call four winns and find out what the stock prop is.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered

talked with ron hill of marine he recomended a 14.25 19 pitch 5 blade from his pleasure 5 signature series??? anyone know anything about these props. I know this would give me alot of blade area. but that sounds like alot of blades to turn through the water
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

Interesting, don't know why you'd need a 5-blade on this type of boat, but also have no experience with them either, so I'm sure not going to say it won't work.

Do you know what the stock prop is? Also I did notice you were worried about the trim, these boat run pretty flat at the speeds we are talking, if you are hitting the trim limiter that's close to where you should be. My 211 liked one touch of the trailer button once I hit the trim limiter, but any more the prop would blow out. That should be about right, don't go much past it.

On speedwake.com I've see a thread about liberators that is about a million pages long, it may be worth checking out for prop advice. The thread is "who has a four winks liberator" or something like that

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 07-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Registered

i will check it out, i am no where near that much trim on my drive. if i trim up till my prop starts to slip, i might be maybe halfway to the trim limit switch. maybe its not much trim. My 86 with a 454 and alpha drive came with 13 3/4 21pitch. now that boat would not hardly even get on plane with that prop. I have to run a 4 blade 17 on it. I tried that same prop on this boat and pops up on plane nice turns about 4700 and gets about 45mph so still alot of slip. My boat now is a 87 and i am sure it came with a alpha but now has a bravo.

I am going to recheck my tach seems like maybe something has gotten off there. checked it last year and it was spot on but i want to double check.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Dumb question, you don't have a shorty lower on the bravo or something do you??? Getting blowout before the trim limit with wouldn't be typical, unless it is set wrong or something, and I'm not sure you CAN set them wrong -- if they are set off the trim sender it's a potentiometer and you can adjust that, but I'm not sure how the limiter ties in...especially with a conversion.. Someone else may know that.

I'd get the trim gauge working if you can, you'd have a better reference than "one one-thousand, two one-thousand"
Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered

i know the gauge itself works cause i can ground it out the gauge will move from one end to the other i hope to have time to see if its a wiring issue or sender issue this week of next i have a sender on order to tie in and turn to see if the gauge works if it does i will pluck the boat and replace it. as far as the shorty outdrive i dont think it is. When floating at the beach in mid chest high water with my gaue saying about 3.5 feet( i am 6'4" ) when i put the drive all the down there is only like 8-10 inches to the sand. i can slide my foot under and lift a few inches. hard to get an exact measurement when the boat moves up and down. but it sits well below bottom of the boat if someone knows the drive measurement i will measure the total drive height and find out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.