Notices

Tunnel Tab?

Old 07-06-2002, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tunnel tabs? I would never consider using them, especially on a pleasure boat! Really just asking to hurt a good customer and his family and that is about all, and this also seems to me like a “band aid” so to speak for a poorly balanced or designed boat! If it needs a tab watch out

Parting thoughts on the flexible after plane. Now just how would you begin to calculate the Bending modulus, Flexure strength? Needed oh I know we pick a flipper from the shelf Wrong!! But let’s see we could develop a simple stress-strain curve using air! Worse case jersey air is heaver Joke BTW! But what happens when good ole water which is in the order of 800 times the mass hits our protruding “Flipper”?? Oops this could happen close to the mount bad very bad or at the tip it would make a big difference and then its Dive mask time with a windshield wiper? Quick answer here it doesn’t take a whole lot of force to trip a boat ! so it’s always better to have one that’s properly designed to begin with. Especially when talking Catamaran come on if the builder cannot balance or do the tunnel air pack work I would run!!
Old 07-06-2002, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tunnel tabs, just asking for trouble.

I never used the tabs on my 36, they did not even work eventually took them off.

If the boats balanced right you dont need them.

Curtis
Old 07-07-2002, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flashback-
I never added the tunnel tabs to my Chris Cat. Keith Nunez (Hot Pursuit) thinks that they should be on the boat and he likes him on his Shadow, but I'm hesitant. You can contact me via email to discuss if you wish.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:23 AM
mjuwalters

Default Tabs

I agree a well balanced boat is the best solution. but for an outboard boat in paticular with fuel tanks allready installed whats the options? My 30 motion with 300pro maxs does porpise at cruise speeds, more so on flat water. so I also am considering a tunnel tab. Does anybody know who is making that flex tab ? are they all custom made?

Old 07-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Proroc

Rolf at Proroc makes his own Tunnel Tabs and being a Spectre dealer, he might be a good person to talk with about this...
Old 07-08-2002, 11:19 AM
Organdonor

Steve 1

The application I am questioning would be for a pleasure boat. However the intention was to cancel some of the negative effects of cats at lower speeds. The objective in this application is to help keep the boat planeing at lower speeds (20mph). To keep porpoise down during intermediate speeds to greater broaden the range of speeds available but still maintain enjoyable ride quality. Ideally to have a boat that will have good ride quality across a very wide range of speeds. However I am not certain that this boat does need to have one at all on it.

Question Spectre 30 owners what are your experiences?