Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
vinyl help please !!! swimming trunks stained brand new boat !!!! >

vinyl help please !!! swimming trunks stained brand new boat !!!!

Notices

vinyl help please !!! swimming trunks stained brand new boat !!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Many threads on this topic in the past, with plenty of suggestions. Do a search, but most agree that the sun is your best friend on this one.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this happen many years ago and actually ended up having a custom matching dye/paint mixed for the vinyl...perfect match and the fix was un detectable.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the sun although it might take more then a couple days depending on how bad the stain is. For you guys that use magic eraser, does it dry out your vinyl? or do you just make sure you condition the vinyl afterwards? I have never used it but here alot of good things.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magic Eraser is an abrasive so don't go nutz on the vinyl, or you may dull the surface.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It happened to my seat from a colored T-shirt. It took a lot of scrubbing but the magic erasers finally removed it and didn't damage the vinyl. I don't allow died T-shirts or denim in my boat anymore!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by MacGyver
Magic Eraser is an abrasive so don't go nutz on the vinyl, or you may dull the surface.
It is absolutely an abrasive, try it on one of your painted walls in your home or trim areas, it'll take the sheen right off. Just be careful how and where you use it. I know somebody who used it on their kitchen cabinets and now when you look at those areas it looks like someone took fine sandpaper to them.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
That same thing happened to my Talon seat many years ago. New bright red swimsuit my sister-in-law wore (and it had not been washed) left a red shade on my white seat! This was at the beginning of a week long camping trip. Every cleaner I had on hand would not do anything to remove it. BUT... just being in the sun for a few days and it bleached right out. Completely gone. Before using any harsh cleaners just leave it direct sunlight for a day or two. Good luck!
exactly. been there done that. do not scrub or even put a protectant on. you WANT the UV to bleach it out! and it will.

again do not get after the spot and risk changing it's gloss or surface in any way!
annoying till it gets bleached out? YES, but not as annoying as seeing the spot you worked for the next 10 years!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to lie. We all know it was really from a bikini top and mardi gras beads.. We've all been there man!