Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Miss GEICO Burns Up in Sarasota, Crew OK >

Miss GEICO Burns Up in Sarasota, Crew OK

Notices

Miss GEICO Burns Up in Sarasota, Crew OK

Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my brother said he saw the burned up boat going north on I95 and a v-hull geico boat going south on I95
Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Gentlemen, we have good news and bad news. The good news: We are fully insured. The bad news: We are insured with GEICO.........
Talk about ironic, guess who refused to insure my boat 3 years ago because the VIN came back as a tunnel hull? After receiving the letter of denial I called them up to explain that Warlock also made V-bottoms boats. They said sorry, nothing they could do since it shows up in their database as a tunnel, and WE DO NOT INSURE TUNNEL HULLS!!

To which I replied, I believe you have a small issue with false advertising floating around out there.

So when I received these pics on my cell phone a few minutes after she lit off, I had to chuckle...

Wonder who GEICO had their Mystic insured with??? Glad everyone made it out ok, but ya gotta bust balls when a busting is due...

-K
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Talk about ironic, guess who refused to insure my boat 3 years ago because the VIN came back as a tunnel hull? After receiving the letter of denial I called them up to explain that Warlock also made V-bottoms boats. They said sorry, nothing they could do since it shows up in their database as a tunnel, and WE DO NOT INSURE TUNNEL HULLS!!

To which I replied, I believe you have a small issue with false advertising floating around out there.

So when I received these pics on my cell phone a few minutes after she lit off, I had to chuckle...

Wonder who GEICO had their Mystic insured with??? Glad everyone made it out ok, but ya gotta bust balls when a busting is due...

-K
With all due respect, I think your "chuckle" is a little misguided. The entity known as GEICO Insurance—and it does sound as if the company gave you the run-around—didn't take the loss here. A group of people, namely the Miss GEICO racing team, did.

I'm not asking you to feel sorry for them. Nor are they. I just don't see this as any kind of karmic payback because their sponsor refused to insure your boat.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 07-17-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-K
Your so wrong here. Geico don't own this race boat.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by akaboatman
Your so wrong here. Geico don't own this race boat.
Right, Geico is mearly a sponsor. Kind of like saying the miss Budweiser hydroplane was owned by Budweiser. Or the 24 DuPont NASCAR team is owned by DuPont, etc. Insurance does not cover a race boat in competition use. Nor do they insure race cars.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

I don't know how you can get a chuckle at the loss of one of the top 10 iconic boats of offshore over an issue with their sponsor or not.

Fortunately Marc and Scotty are safe and can continue on albeit with a revised program.

A loss like this is usually the end of any teams program or desire to run again
Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

Thread title is "Miss GEICO Burns Up in Sarasota, Crew OK"
Not Mystic Powerboat, or Turbine Marine burns up..

Like I said just busting the balls of Geico, nothing meant towards the owners and crew who I've met several times and can feel their loss of the most cutting edge boat in this sport.

However you may recall Geico was using race footage of this boat in advertising until the SBI shut them down and that all ended up in a big stink with the MISS GEICO pulling out of races. Who's call was that?

So I ask how many of you tunnel hull owners have Geico? Better yet how many of you NON-Tunnel owners like myself have been denied coverage based solely off your VIN coming back to a Tunnel manufacture?

Someone please call them up and ask to insure a 50' Mystic and get back to us... They wouldn't even talk to me, or attempt to verify the haul design as another insurer did when this tunnel issue popped up again last year. I was an existing customer, and they just blew me off like no big deal. Had this been a V-Bottom I'd not be poking fun at their sponsors. SO...

If your a major insurance company footing the bill to parade a multimillion dollar toy such as this, writing it off as advertising expenses, for a service that you don't provide.... Ya need your balls busted, and for that I will make no apologies.

Everyone was OK and I'll bet she makes a comeback soon if the sponsors can spare some change. If not maybe as another Miss Budweiser, could we be so lucky?

-K
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

If not maybe as another Miss Budweiser, could we be so lucky?

-K

Not too likely with In-Bev owning Budweiser ......
Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thread title is "Miss GEICO Burns Up in Sarasota, Crew OK"
Not Mystic Powerboat, or Turbine Marine burns up..

Like I said just busting the balls of Geico, nothing meant towards the owners and crew who I've met several times and can feel their loss of the most cutting edge boat in this sport.

However you may recall Geico was using race footage of this boat in advertising until the SBI shut them down and that all ended up in a big stink with the MISS GEICO pulling out of races. Who's call was that?

So I ask how many of you tunnel hull owners have Geico? Better yet how many of you NON-Tunnel owners like myself have been denied coverage based solely off your VIN coming back to a Tunnel manufacture?

Someone please call them up and ask to insure a 50' Mystic and get back to us... They wouldn't even talk to me, or attempt to verify the haul design as another insurer did when this tunnel issue popped up again last year. I was an existing customer, and they just blew me off like no big deal. Had this been a V-Bottom I'd not be poking fun at their sponsors. SO...

If your a major insurance company footing the bill to parade a multimillion dollar toy such as this, writing it off as advertising expenses, for a service that you don't provide.... Ya need your balls busted, and for that I will make no apologies.
Everyone was OK and I'll bet she makes a comeback soon if the sponsors can spare some change. If not maybe as another Miss Budweiser, could we be so lucky?

-K
Sorry Kid, but you're wrong here.

How many NASCAR sponsors have anything to do with the automotive world? Sponsorships are partnerships that create brand recognition, if nothing more, and the guys at AMF were able to do that better than any other team in recent memory. Obviously GEICO see's value in that relationship (and vice versa). So let me get this straight, if GEICO's business is not insuring catamaran's they should now be excluded from sponsoring an offshore race team that runs a catamaran?!

Last edited by Big Time; 07-17-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Time
Sorry Kid, but you're wrong here.

How many NASCAR sponsors have anything to do with the automotive world? Sponsorships are partnerships that create brand recognition, if nothing more, and the guys at AMF were able to do that better than any other team in recent memory. Obviously GEICO see's value in that relationship (and vice versa). So let me get this straight, if GEICO's business is not insuring catamaran's they should now be excluded from sponsoring an offshore race team that runs a catamaran?!
Can't argue with that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.