Notices

No Marine Tech's

Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Marine Tech's

Can't believe all the media hype about the jobless rate and I can't get "one" reply to my Marine Tech position want ad. I believe there are a lot of jobs out there, Seems nobody wants to work!!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered

I also have problem finding help. We talked to the employment commission about our openings. By State Law our employees have to have a clean criminal record. The person at the commission said that is going to knock a lot of people out. He also said he was having a hard time getting people to work since they were getting good money not working.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same in south Jersey the marinas I call on are also trying to hire, they can not find anyone.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

To bad I dont have any "tech" training! I would make the jump. Our business is sssllooowwww!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

It's that way in any type of industry that requires sound technical knowledge or a skilled trade. I can't find qualified people either. I'm sure there's an over-abundance of people qualified with skills required to program computers or design websites. I'm not knocking anyone, it's just the change in our culture. It truly is sad......
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by links
Can't believe all the media hype about the jobless rate and I can't get "one" reply to my Marine Tech position want ad. I believe there are a lot of jobs out there, Seems nobody wants to work!!
OK Ted, I'll turn some wrenches and wash some boats in exchange for a certain 37 with 6's, deal?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Default Here is the other side of the same conversation!

A local facility was looking for a "certified" technician.

Advertised the position, contacted all sorts outlets; employment agencies, state offices, newspaper listings. You name it, the opening was listed.

A shade tree mechanic a number of us know and like suggested he apply. Wasn't even given an interview because not "certified".

The facility hired another "certified" technician. A mechanic we also all know who puts on a great front. He seldom ever finishes anything, has more jobs come back than you can imagine and always has wonderful excuses. BUT, he is certified!

The shade tree man, while not certified, can readily diagnose intake, exhaust, internal, electrical, ignition problems and has a knowledge of out drives and marine transmissions likely second to none. Gets jobs done on time and usually less than estimated! Can't get an interview!

The "certified" man is still at the facility, still has come backs, and still makes excuses. Have I mentioned he is certified!

The shade tree mechanic was hired by a commercial concern with a number of boats and he is doing nearly all their mechanical work on boats, trucks and everything else they have; single handedly! He has been there for about a year and the owner has said his repair costs are down 30% and his equipment is much more dependable.

Granted, this is not a very common set of circumstances. BUT, he is not certified, just extremely competent! And only in his late 30's.

That is where the problem comes in. He is so busy, doing such a great job, making a handsome income and bonuses; he seldom has time to work on our stuff!

Last edited by Florida Floater; 07-06-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

There are a lot of people out there that are not "certified" and are more competent than those that are. I got most of my training in the Navy and lots of do it myself projects. Before my last trip to the sunny Persian Gulf I trained with reps from Konrad Outdrives and Hamilton Jets. No sheepskin, but I know to fix them!
I've seen plenty of guys that can read books, take tests and advance, but wouldn't know what end of the wrench to hold on to when it was necessary!

Last edited by inthetundra; 07-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

I know all about "Certified Technicians" I didnt graduate high school and have NO mechanical training or certs! I learned the old fashion way!!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me, hired a guy who was an equipment operator, and was.. Was out of work for almost a year. His father knew one of the partners so we hired him. He was a good operator when he worked...but thats the problem WHEN he worked. I swore he was a narcaleptic... He seemed to always be sleeping, and the final straw was when he didnt show for work for 2 days in a row... For someone who needed a job badly sure didnt seem to want to keep the job...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.