Notices

Pier/boat lift security?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pier/boat lift security?

How do you handle security of your boat?

Are motion lights set off by waves?

I'm considering a pier with a boat lift next year and as the only pier with a boat along a 1/2 mile of waterfront I feel like I would be a prime target. I'm not concerned with the boat being stolen, just accessories on the boat.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

We live on canals with the boat lifts right behind our 2 homes, and never had any problems. I take the keys and daily boating items off the boats each time we come in, but leave everything else. Oh, and we have a BIG Female German Shepperd that is pretty protective, so that might help us, not sure. We are not as isolated as you are.....
Hope this helps.
Dean
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

we put bear traps in the boat painted the same color as the carpet..amost got me once ...
Old 07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

Default A previous paranoid neighbor paid a few $100 for security!

When the lift company installed the unit, he had them add about 5 feet to the top of the verticals. Seldom was he away, but when he was, he lifted the boat to the top.

He had motion detectors with flood/spot lights. The power switches were key operated and the boxes were locked.

All this for a low value, older, sun parched, under powered deck boat!

As for me, at two of my primary places I have so many very nosey neighbors, nothing is going to happen at any time of the day or night, water or land. At the third the boat is almost always at an extremely secure marina with the same kind of neighbors, only on boats!

For your second question, generally NO! Most all motion detectors for security purposes do not activate for anything, but human movement. Dogs, squirrels, cats, deer do not set them off. Your mother-in-law's pet elephant... not so sure!

As for the previous neighbor; when he sold the property the new owner had an awning installed with a skirt. When he lifts his center console up all the way, it is tucked away.

Last edited by Florida Floater; 07-07-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are numerous options you can go with, and with technology being what it is, if you can imagine it, more than likely it can be done. I use a combination of products. Here's just a sample of my security products....

First, IR wireless/transmitters from this company:

http://www.drivewayalert.com/systems...2%84%A2-ext-lr

When tripped hidden IR detector/transmitters send signals into my home receiver which sets off an alert tone - the system noted above has an approximate 2500' range. (Waves or birds won't set off the detectors if you strategically position the detectors.) This company sells products with a single sensor/transmitter, or a system that can handle up to 4 sensor/transmitters - each provides a different tone at the receiver.

Also I use IR LED motion detection flood lights. And also a video camera security system with digital recording DVR from Q-See (www.q-see.com).

The newest Q-See DVR security systems not only record live camera video (can be programmed to only record if one or more camera's detect motion), but the system can also be programmed to call your cell phone if camera activity is tripped. Also the Q-See system can be linked to your home alarm system, which (if you have a 24/7 monitoring service), can automatically contact the police if camera video is detected. And if you're away from home you can monitor your camera system via a smart phone or anywhere you have an internet/wifi connection.

As for the lift itself, rig circuit breaker so you can turn power off inside your house.

And I have a few more security measures, but that's probably enough for this post. And of course the obvious, McGard prop and drive locks.

Overkill? Definitely, but it provides a nice piece of mind.

I like the carpet color matched bear trap idea! hummmm, might have to add that too....

Last edited by SR-71; 07-08-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I've been shopping boat lifts recently and one of the guys had a hole that he put in the track beams so you could run a stopper rod through it and put a pad lock on it.

I live in an area where theft is NOT an issue, but I thought the idea was neat............
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

The bear trap idea sounds like the cheapest way to go

Good to hear the motion detectors won't be set off by waves ... and hopefully heron, osprey, etc.

There are lots of houses along the waterfront, just no other piers (it's a long story), so I think a motion light would be enough to scare someone off ... and then an IR detector with the choice of alerting me or just sounding some kind of short variable volume alarm ... just sudden and loud enough to make them pee their pants.