Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
WTF decibel test?  TORCH LAKE MI >

WTF decibel test? TORCH LAKE MI

Notices

WTF decibel test? TORCH LAKE MI

Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

That article says 50ft...so what's the correct way to measure in Michigan?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like its anyones guess... I did a search for "noise decibel meters that boat police use" - check out how many ordinances pop up!!! I would say that each city, or lake may have its own standards, but this company (if particular city/lake buys from them) is probably going to recommend their test standards. Bottom line is, its still in the hands of Barney Fiffe, and worse, Mayberry.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
No, Michigan only does at idle.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
Last I knew they could do either SAE-J2005(stationary) or SAE-1970(moving) but obviously stationary is much easier.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Drivehard
I bet my lunch that the new sherriff is using a different "weighting scale"
There are different db scales that relate to how humans can hear sound. A-weighting is most common, and what is usually used when measuring industrial sounds. If he had it on a different scale, or had the weighting turned off, you will get VERY different numbers. It would be important to read the statute, and understand what scale is expected by your governing body. If it does not say, I would collect evidence that OSHA uses A weighting and bring that to the new sherriff...make sure he takes the test again with the correct setting.

Yes, there are also max hold, and response functions on many db meters. If you set your meter to a slower response, it will not bounce around as much, and be more of an average...that would be in your favor, as it would not be showing the much higher spikes an engine can exhibit.

Get yourself a cheap radio-shack db meter...they work great.
You are correct it is suppose to be measured at slow response and A weighting.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 07-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a radio shack DB meter. They are inexpensive and very good. 103 db is very loud. 90 db is not too tough to get to on a boat with mufflers. I once had a boat that was 572 CI blower with straight exhaust test at 105. That boat was really loud. When you would start it at the docks it would make people jump if they were not expecting it. I agree with the comments about what weighting scale he is using. Big differences. The radio shack meter will help a great deal. Most tests are 3' back and 3' up from the transom.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

103 doesn't sound right. I got a ticket on Lake George, NY for 99.2 dbs on my single 525 EFI with straight pipes. A sunsation with the same motor registered 98 and my brother 29 fountain with the same motor was 97 dbs. This was done with a meter stick to the transom. A guy on the lake with twin 500 efis and CMI mufflers pulled 90.3.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
103 doesn't sound right. I got a ticket on Lake George, NY for 99.2 dbs on my single 525 EFI with straight pipes. A sunsation with the same motor registered 98 and my brother 29 fountain with the same motor was 97 dbs. This was done with a meter stick to the transom. A guy on the lake with twin 500 efis and CMI mufflers pulled 90.3.
I remember that one... The year prior I was a 92 FB straight pipes stock manifolds with 330's. Still haven't paid..
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flyinlow
I have a high quality industrial decibel meter if you would like to borrow it
just pay shippiing both ways and I need to make sure I get it back

Kevin
I very much appreciate the offer but I think I will buy the same meter he has or atleast the same brand. I did get a good look at it.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
I agree, it does my sound right. I had a guy check me with a radio shack meter 3yrs ago and it was around 96 db with my stock package...575sci with e-tops and no mufflers. I just hate to piss in this guys wheates and say he is wrong as he does not seem to be the type that would ever admit to being wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.