Notices

Anybody Ever Used This Guy?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Anybody Ever Used This Guy?

http://www.bluewaterboatlifts.com/Home_Page.html

Narrowed down my search to this guy and a couple others. He seems to be easy to work with and is communicative, but was hoping someone on here might have some feedback?

Very few are willing to build a vertical 20k elevator lift. He is one of only a couple others that would.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess my first question is...

...why are they reluctant to build the type of lift you want?

Second question is; why have you narrowed to only the vertical/elevator lift?

Is there an engineering problem, design issue, construction problem???? Why they won't build it?

I am not discounting that is what you want, but there must be a reason only a few will build it. Are the few the better manufacturers, or no?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's reluctant to build a 20,000 lb lift, my first question to him would be - how many heavy lifts have you built? If his answer is none... run Forest, RUN! Much better to find someone that has done a heavy lift before.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

I remember a member here having a helluva bad time with a heavy lift installer but I think he was in Florida with another builder.
Your guys price seems very low to me at less than 13k.
I'm not an engineer, architect, or boat lift installer.
But I've been building swimming pools, and some concrete retaining walls, and wood or concrete bulkheads for property owners around a lake and down on the coast for over 30 yrs.
This could end up being a bad situation where he will leave an open ended contract in which you could spend a lot more money than the agreement.
Or it could end up pulling your bulkhead over and pulling out the deadman anchors.
This job, if I were paying for it, would require him to purchase a construction bond (aka contract bond) with a performance clause or an additional performance and payment bond if the issuer wont roll it in the construction bond.
If he balked I'd walk.
Surety bonds are money well spent for the buyer of many construction service contracts.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BoatShow239
...why are they reluctant to build the type of lift you want?
Most want to put it on a 25* angle. I don't want that. Most builders just want to fit your lift to their specs - I want mine built to MY specs

Second question is; why have you narrowed to only the vertical/elevator lift?Asthetics

Is there an engineering problem, design issue, construction problem???? Why they won't build it?See above.

I am not discounting that is what you want, but there must be a reason only a few will build it. Are the few the better manufacturers, or no?Yes - only the top couple guys will build this style lift.
Originally Posted by SR-71
If he's reluctant to build a 20,000 lb lift, my first question to him would be - how many heavy lifts have you built? If his answer is none... run Forest, RUN! Much better to find someone that has done a heavy lift before.
He wasn't reluctant to build it.

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I remember a member here having a helluva bad time with a heavy lift installer but I think he was in Florida with another builder.
Your guys price seems very low to me at less than 13k.
I'm not an engineer, architect, or boat lift installer.
But I've been building swimming pools, and some concrete retaining walls, and wood or concrete bulkheads for property owners around a lake and down on the coast for over 30 yrs.
This could end up being a bad situation where he will leave an open ended contract in which you could spend a lot more money than the agreement.
Or it could end up pulling your bulkhead over and pulling out the deadman anchors.
This job, if I were paying for it, would require him to purchase a construction bond (aka contract bond) with a performance clause or an additional performance and payment bond if the issuer wont roll it in the construction bond.
If he balked I'd walk.
Surety bonds are money well spent for the buyer of many construction service contracts.

See ya,
Kelly
His price is not less than 13k for the lift I have asked him to build. It's more. He will not be installing since I live in VA and he is in FL. I just need it built and delivered to my door, I've got the rest handled.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered

Default I would say you have done...

...your homework and research in a thorough manner.

If you are comfortable with their engineering, warrantee(s) and craftsmanship and you have a competent installer; what else do you need?

My one remaining question; when you move up a boat or two are you getting a lift with growth in mind?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BoatShow239
...your homework and research in a thorough manner.

If you are comfortable with their engineering, warrantee(s) and craftsmanship and you have a competent installer; what else do you need?

My one remaining question; when you move up a boat or two are you getting a lift with growth in mind?
Yeah. My cafe is only 10k dry - a 20k lift would accommodate anything I'd ever be able to afford

Jupiter - thanks for the feedback via PM.