Boat Resto Burnout what to do >

Boat Resto Burnout what to do

Notices

Boat Resto Burnout what to do

Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boat Resto Burnout what to do

I bought this 85 Scarab last year and have been working on it since last year. I spent 3 months just restoring the trailer. There was nights I was up untill 3.00 in the morning. The bone heads put a junk automotive holley on it and some auto gas lines. I ordered a new holley 650 Marine square bore and had to go with another intake and had custom braided steel lines made for all the fuel system.
The gauges where on the way out the only thing that worked was the oil and temp I think the trim.
Anyway I ripped everything out and have been putting in all new switches and some new wiring . Like I said I have been on this since last year I already have all new gauges for it.

Anyway long story short I am burnt out I am so close but very burnt out I have taken some time off to to do it but its taken me longer and longer . To make things worse: The factory molded the inside pannel to the boat so you cannot remove pannels to get to wring. The wired everything then molded the inside to the hull. They give you little acess holes to reach up blind and try and find some of old wires and if you have to run new your blind on that too. Of all the boats I have worked on I have never wired a boat like this one. What a pain in the ass!

I can't find anyhelp here in this s**t hole town either. Been trying to find some help on an old yellow jacket. After three weeks I cannot hire anybody. Nobody want to work here there all idependantly wealthy!

Ok guys you have been here how do you get un burnt when you have no help whats so ever. Any advice??
The more burnt out I am the longer its it taking. I just want this night mare over. Its so close but so far !
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Join a boating web site, vent about your problems and then get back at it.

Or just give it a break for a while.

Good luck

Last edited by Wobble; 07-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as the panels go I'd just cut them out and make a new screw on panel to go in it's place. On my Donzi Minx I used poster board to mock the panels up then made my own out of plexi.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beer, then one more beer!

I've learned when it's my own project to not set a time line if I don't need to. I use it as a stress reliver not something to cause stress. But it sounds like your already there. If this is a strict budget conscious project I can under stand not wanting to cut access panel holes. But in some cases if you need to you can have it reglassed and finished "to much money for me to do all the time" but I have put larger plastic access plates, and I have also made trim pieces covered in marine carpet or vinyl to cove a hole I had to cut.

As far as your burnt out feeling. I make a list of all that needs to be done then I do one thing at a time then call it quits. Then I find my self wanting to go back out to the shop and do something else on the list. But if I don't feel like going back out then I can at least tell my self I got one project done.

Gauges:
Speedo
Mount
Wire up
Tach
Mount
Wire up
Volt
Mount
Wire up
And so forth and so forth

Re wire
Bilge pump
Blower
Running lights
So forth and so forth

Switches
---------
--------

Radio
Instal
Amp
Speakers

You get the point.
Little projects, not one huge project.

It may take a little longer and some may disagree but it works for me and makes it to where I like working on my boats.

Hope that helps,
James
Old 07-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

That list will also help you keep track of what you did and not overlook things until its to late!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hwyrnr
Beer, then one more beer!

I've learned when it's my own project to not set a time line if I don't need to. I use it as a stress reliver not something to cause stress. But it sounds like your already there. If this is a strict budget conscious project I can under stand not wanting to cut access panel holes. But in some cases if you need to you can have it reglassed and finished "to much money for me to do all the time" but I have put larger plastic access plates, and I have also made trim pieces covered in marine carpet or vinyl to cove a hole I had to cut.

As far as your burnt out feeling. I make a list of all that needs to be done then I do one thing at a time then call it quits. Then I find my self wanting to go back out to the shop and do something else on the list. But if I don't feel like going back out then I can at least tell my self I got one project done.

Gauges:
Speedo
Mount
Wire up
Tach
Mount
Wire up
Volt
Mount
Wire up
And so forth and so forth

Re wire
Bilge pump
Blower
Running lights
So forth and so forth

Switches
---------
--------

Radio
Instal
Amp
Speakers

You get the point.
Little projects, not one huge project.

It may take a little longer and some may disagree but it works for me and makes it to where I like working on my boats.

Hope that helps,
James
+1. Go out an wash the boat. Look at how nice it looks wet. Walk away an I bet You will be on track tomorrow. Artie
Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Registered

Best advice I can think of is say f'it for a weekend, jump on a buddy's boat and go enjoy yourself. You will be reminded of why you are working on it in the first place and will come back refreshed. Then make a list and start scratching them off!

Great to have a target date for completion that's realistic.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Registered

The difference between a job and a project is that a job has a deadline. Just relax and remember that a project is supposed to be fun. You'll get there.

Dan
Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

Default I have had these style projects...

...and from experience I can tell you, if you walk away, you will likely never walk back!

Most important question, where are you?

Are you the only performance boater around? Are you the only boater around?

hwyrnr was very good suggesting to not look at is as one exceptionally large project, but as many small ones. I would go one step further, go from one type of project to another, then to another, then to another. Do an electrical, then mechanical, then body and back to electrical.

inthetundra was good at suggesting a list. Make a list, the longer, more precise the list, the better. Then as you complete items, not only check them off the first list, but add them to a completed list. Also a great tool if you ever decide to get a divorce from this boat.

ALWAYS complete a step before you move to the next one. I know a mechanic who is good, but because he is so easily distracted and/or moves from job to job (even on the same boat) his reputation has gone from prime to not worth a dime!

As for the "panels", VetteLT193 hit the nail on the head. When the boat was built, it is likely three major components. Hull, interior, cap. Most of the time the wiring is done somewhat in stages, certainly not after the boat is all together.

This is why it is hard to call a boat manufacturer and order a wire harness. The end result may look like a pre-made harness, but it is not. Go ahead and cut out where you need to work and repair later. Makes the job much less frustrating. If you only need to run one or two wires, that is one thing; but the chances are you will be running much more.

akaboatman's idea to wash the boat was very good. Clean out all the junk, polish the metal & shine the old girl up a little.

If you need a beer or need to be consoled, go to akaboatman's beer pier when the light is lit. That way you are around someone who will encourage and give advice.

Last edited by BoatShow239; 07-11-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Registered

I just finished a pantera 24 resto from a bare hull.
Never again.......
Luckily I had a couple talented / knowledgeable hands to get the job done.
It took about 5/6 months. Lots of late nights, lost misc parts , $$$,& aggravation.
We set deadlines & missed them. I think its one of those things that you need to just work at a pace with no time constraints......when its done, its done.
Sorry no encouraging words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.