Lift configuration/discussion >

Lift configuration/discussion

Notices

Lift configuration/discussion

Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift configuration/discussion

Back story: we sold our house in 2007 and have been renters until last week. We bought a nice place on the water in South Tampa. The house already has a 10,000lb lift at the dock, plus plenty of deep water space for my OSO friends to visit. (Nick and Alec, I'm calling you out specifically Plus my friend who recently bought No Compromise. All others are welcome too.)

I am bringing the boat over from my father's house this weekend and am torn on which way to configure the lift.

There is plenty of room to go nose in, but I have always been a little uneasy about leaving the engines pointed away from the house. If I back it in, the bow will probably stick about 15' beyond the end of the dock.

One variable to consider is that my father is free to use this boat whenever he wants, which includes the lift I am leaving at his house. He would need to bring the boat back and put it on my lift. He would be more comfortable going nose in.

The real question is whether I should set the lift flat with the bunk evenly spaced so the boat can be loaded in either direction, or just go nose in? What are your thoughts?

(The boat is not a stepped hull)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like you, I prefer stern in docking.

Maybe for a different reason. I like the ease of loading the boat and if sitting on the boat at the dock, seems to be closer to the "action".

I would think on a lift, reversing into the slip you increase the chance the lift may not be low enough and you damage a prop when coming back in on a tide change.

You have not said if lift is parallel, perpendicular or angled to the shore. Is intrusion into the waterway an issue? It sounds like it is perpendicular or angled.

I would suggest setting the lift to be loaded either direction, not just for your father, but for your friends. If another boater comes and needs to be lifted, if you have arranged the bunks in a generic manner, almost everyone fits. Naturally at a later time if you decide you don't like it, you can always change it!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

dont set it flat on the bunks you want water to run to the back of the boat for drainaige go nose up
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift is perpendicular to seawall, sits on side of dock and is set back about 20' from wall in deep water. Depth wont be an issue. The actual cradle is sitting perfectly flat.

Will measure to make sure the bunks are close anough to hull from touching I-beams and will put boat on with current flat set-up. If there is not enough angle for drainage, I'll know I have to angle the lift or pinch the forward bunks closer together. If it does have enough angle for drainage, then the boat can be loaded either direction.

If I need to set it in one direction, how many of you use a reverse set-up making you back the boat in for each use? (It isn't hard to mark the guideposts to ensure the lift is low enough and avoid hitting the props.)
Old 07-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unless you plan on new bunks...

...the decision may have already been made for you.

I am sure you know that just as on a trailer, you want the lift bunks to support the transom of the boat. If backing it in does not do so you will require new or readjusted bunks for transom support and to be balanced on the lift.

If you decide flat does not give you enough pitch, I would suggest still leaving the bunks straight and raise the bow to get your drainage. This way, if you come home and want to pull in rather than back in, you can and you still have the option to let others use it as needed. Yes drainage would be screwy, but for a temporary situation it should be fine.

I agree with backing in, but I too would be very cautious about water levels, the lift and how far the boat protrudes from the end of the dock.

Never know, I might bring my 2 gph speedster to South Tampa when I get it done! After all, it is only about 110 miles!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd suggest nosing in otherwise you'll have to shut the engines down, lift the drives and walk the boat into the lift every time you go out.. I dont' think that would be fun for me on a hot day or with a big crowd onboard my boat.

I always nose in.
Attached Thumbnails Lift configuration/discussion-lift.jpg