Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First Checkmate 26 Convincor Completed >

First Checkmate 26 Convincor Completed

Notices

First Checkmate 26 Convincor Completed

Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I like it. Has good freeboard for a 26ft boat, which looks like it would also create a fairly usable cabin. Nice freeboard with drop down bolsters in a boat this size is hard to pull off. Like the steps on the cabin entryway.....cup holders behind the bolsters was a great idea. I think the lines could be cleaned up if they went to a solid white fairing or atleast a white clouded tint. They could also match the fairing color to the hull color used, which would give an illusion of a lower deck. Similar to the way my old apache was in my avatar. Like the big deep transom....most likely a deep 24 degree deadrise, but lots of room between the water line and swim platform. Should be great for rough water. Like the simple helm........but could be improved. Looks like they ran out of room as the gauges are so close to the windscreen. Like the deck design. Good speed for the size and power. Priced well. Overall it looks like a winner.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the exterior, but I'm not sure about the area in front of passenger seat. It looks unfinished.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i like that they didn't mold on the platform and call it a 27, like everybody is doing these days. (the square stern is where it looks baja-ish though). the sliding cuddy hatch with steps to get over windshield is a nice touch. i wish somebody made a drop-down bolster that also swiveled. these interiors are small enough. if you can spin front seats around for hanging out and fishing, (i know...4-letter f-word) the cockpit seems much more roomy.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not crazy about the boat BUT it is great to see a boat builder coming out with a new model these days! Especially a new boat in the price range that a working man/women could afford.
Congrats-
Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Based on reaction on this thread it's good thing the designers didn't listen to me

I know I'm stuck in 1975 anyhow.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

I enjoy that they are still there for the starter boat guy.

Good looking clean bout for Sub $100k that is brand new, warranty, and runs 70's.....That's where the home run is Most builders are forgetting about that small guy or the young guys trying to break in.

All around I think this boat is great deal.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I think it's a good one. It's hard to make a 26 look really sleek without making it a sit-down boat, it's just the reality of proportions. All in all...good job and nice to see some new models coming into this awful market.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

This does a nice job of filling the void left behind when Active Thunder stopped making thier 25. It's a deep freeboard, deep V with a fairly large cabin for a 26' boat. The boat runs respectable speeds, the gunnels come up to your armpits, and it has traditional muscle boat looks with some modern flares! I thinks it's a winner and based upon my conversation with Mike Combs (Checkmate) the other morning they already have quite a few orders on this model!!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Very well...

Originally Posted by Indy
It's hard to make a 26 look really sleek without making it a sit-down boat, it's just the reality of proportions.
stated and 100% agreed. One of the reasons I like my Sonic so much and the reason there are so few boats that have the space bellow deck. Depending on how you view it, it is really sleek or a bloated cow
Many in this size range have a crawl in/useless cabin, low freeboard etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
This does a nice job of filling the void left behind when Active Thunder stopped making thier 25. It's a deep freeboard, deep V with a fairly large cabin for a 26' boat. The boat runs respectable speeds, the gunnels come up to your armpits, and it has traditional muscle boat looks with some modern flares! I thinks it's a winner and based upon my conversation with Mike Combs (Checkmate) the other morning they already have quite a few orders on this model!!
How is the construction different from the previous models? The Checkmate my buddy had up here in Long Island Sound didn't fare too well after a season of our chop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.