Notices

Jayl13 whats the news??

Old 07-04-2002, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jayl13 whats the news??

Cmon J we are waiting to here what happened with the twins. I was waiting for an update lastnight but i didnt see one. Hopefully you are having too much fun to fill us in and not the other possibility. Inquiring minds want to know

Rob
Old 07-05-2002, 11:20 AM
JerseyDevil

No word from Jay, I hope the boat is in the water and running good.
Tom

Old 07-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Registered

Jason posted in Tech Q&A this morning.
Not running yet.
The guy can't catch a break.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Registered

Gee I did not know I had an audience LOL
Anyway here is a quick run down
I got ONE running about 20 minutes ago FINALLY
Granted one engine running in a twin setup is not going to do me much good though
BUT I Finally put the fuel pump (the automotive one wont work) I pulled the old one apart, cleaned it all up, the 2 diaphrams looked okay, schmeged it back, screwed it back together, blew out ALL of the fuel lines and siphoned some fuel from the tank (this engine was not getting fuel so would not start)
The kicker, the fuel filter/Seperator was not full so I guess it was just pumping air and not fuel.
I swapped fuel filters from engine #1 to engine #2
the one fuel filter was completely full
poured some fuel right down the carb
she turned over and was coughing and choking and kablam
fired up
with some speed I checked the timing, and advanced it to the right spot 8*
upped the idle a little bit, she is idling around 800 now.
these cams are just sick dogs let me tell you!
so now it is time for engine #2
first problem with that is I have to yank off the drive again, and the shifter cable did not go into the clevis, instead it pushed the shifter arm all the way back into the drive so now the shifter handle is in the middle and neutral but the prop is spinning in reverse when I try to start it so back to the drawing board on that one.
Im so happy right now (and im sure my neighborhood is not LOL)
but im going back out there and starting it again and let it run for about 20 minutes or so and let all the oil and stuff flow around and we can try to finish this thing up
I am hoping to test it out tomorrow in the river but im not going to get ahead of myself here just yet
Ill keep you all posted on the progress but so far it has been slow and one stupid problem after the other.
Ill get it just might take some more wrenching
Thanks guys
Jason
Old 07-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally posted by Jayl13
..... Im so happy right now (and im sure my neighborhood is not LOL) ...
Just think ... yesterday, you were one pissed off, disgusted, boat hating MoFo....

Imagine how you are going to feel when you get everything dialed in ...

Good Luck

G
Old 07-05-2002, 07:20 PM
Registered

Well my friends now comes the nightmare as per usual
The one engine that runs has developed a bang
just like the old motor
I dont know what it is just yet
I dont feel like pulling the whole thing apart but looks like that is what im going to have to do.
I only had it at 2000 rpm's after it ran for about 10 minutes at idle, then pushed it up a touch to 2000
then now it started banging away.
I hope it is not that oil pan POS
The first oil pan somehow broke the windage thing in there (tray to keep oil down in the sump)
if the crank is hitting that again (enging builder had welded it back down with some piece of metal.)
or a valve broke or spring or soemthing
not sure yet Ill have to find out.
Goingt to start with the obvious first and check to see if the timing is right or if the distributor moved on me after I set the timing and tightened it down.
But now it is doing it at idle and at 800 RPM's it is set to 8* before TDC (so the timing tab says)
back to square one
BUT it still runs even though it is making noise
any suggestions?
Jason
Old 07-05-2002, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jay, Sorry brother!...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Let's hope it's the oil pan...At least that's a simple, stupid thing to fix, of course pulling the motor is probably not what you had in mind.

You know, that "13" may be a bad omen...I'll keep my lucky seven's handy for you!

Good luck! I'm ready to hear some crazy, good-news, WOOOO-HOOOOO, happy-as-can-be noise from Jay!
Old 07-06-2002, 12:02 AM
Registered

Well good news
it was not a bang it was the flame arrestor snuffing a pop out of the carb. THANK GOD
So I am inclined to think I have a timing issue and a bad plug in it.
No big worries, I have awesome oil pressure and the cams are just down right SICK as hell
the chrome exhaust is ice cold after having it running about 15 minutes too.
some steam from the inner jacketed pipe but nothing wrong with the custom exhaust either.
Engine #1 has all fouled out plugs from so many attempts at starting it with no luck
Tomorrow Im going to pull them all, clean them off and dry them with the air hose and try again
THE drive problem is fixed, seems you have to rotate the prop to get the shifter clevis to come forward in its housing
that was a snap., off came the drive, pulled out the clevis and came about an inch out of the drive and boom attached the shifter cable to it, closed the clevis on it and put the drive back on, no leaks nothing
PERFECT
So now I have developed a leak in the sea water pump so tomorrow im going to pull that apart, clean it all out, schmeg it up with gasket sealer stuff and reinstall it.
should be no major thing there either.
All in all things are going slower than expected but definately moving forward none the less.
Having that one engine running for about 15 minutes today was a real big feat in this uphill battle.
now if I can get that miss out of the engine and it to stop popping out of the carb engine #2 will be ready for sea test
Engine #1 has to fire up, im sure with clenaing the plugs it should be just fine
Things are looking up here and im pumped to get this thing wet
The cams are just down right sick as hell and im loving it
although the neighbors..................................
LOL
thanks guys
Ill post more updates tomorrow
Jason
Old 07-07-2002, 02:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude keep up the hard work. I am running down to the shop to start work on mine again

Jon
Old 07-07-2002, 08:37 PM
Registered

About that popping...double check your wires of their firing order.
Glad to hear your almost there!

Quick Reply: Jayl13 whats the news??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.