Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   twin 550hp on a 28 Skater guess mph? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28087-twin-550hp-28-skater-guess-mph.html)

SR-24 07-10-2002 12:13 PM

I'm just curious as to why there is so much concern about there being two big blocks in that Skater. Are the Skaters really light boats or something? The 30' Eliminator goes well over 100 with twin big blocks.

skatermike24 07-10-2002 12:49 PM

Cause you don't normally see a 28 with inboard power!:cool:
Most 28's are rigged with outboards.

CigDaze 07-10-2002 12:57 PM

What Mike said...

...And typically it's advisable not to have the engines/drives outweigh the boat. The 28 is something like 2100# empty. That's a nice big, concentrated mass pretty far aft. :cool:

Brad Zastrow 07-10-2002 01:57 PM

I have admired your work and enthusiasm for this project but, this boat will be a handful to drive. The 28 Skater has the fuel tanks in the back half of the boat and the hull was normally rigged with 350 lb. outboards. Even three outboards will weigh far less than than one big block and out drive. I will also assume that the big blocks are right at the transom rather than moved foward with driveshafts to balance the boat. I assume this because there is not enough room to move them forward. I have to ask....does this thing even float? Three outboards make the 28' float nose high as it is. The boat is far too tail heavy. I do speak from a small amount of expierence as my boats are a 30' Motion with triple Mercs and a 35' Motion with twin 1000hp engines. Even the 35 has 3' driveshafts to balance the boat. The o/bs would have been a better choice. My outboard boat will out run anything to 100 mph and keep on going to 114. Use less fuel, more reliable, tremendous throttle response (destroys PWC from a dead start drag race). The big gun is for the really wicked top speed in the big water. I still say 115mph if the porpoise does not become crazy.

Cord 07-10-2002 03:07 PM

Brad-arn't you hacking the canopy off your motion?

ali-cat 07-10-2002 03:45 PM

I would think you would run in the 140's. My 36 which is completely open with 575's & 6's does between 110-116. Let me know. You have a completely enclosed canopy. Looks sharp
Let us know!!!!

Cattitude 07-10-2002 05:52 PM

Other "successful" applications

Hi guys- I know not everyone is a fan of west cost boats but before this ambitious project gets poo-poo'd too much...

Aren't there documented 28 Daytonas with twin steel big blocks doing 115-130 (Hotboat about a year back)

MNFast boat has a 28 Advantage cat with twin steel 502's that has seen 90's and no offense but some of that length is swim platform.

The canopy has to add some weight up front, have the fuel tanks been relocated?

I'm no expert but it seems there is some precedent and logic here. It may not be the safest or fastest setup but a fast cruiser with the potential to generate bigger numbers and the inherent smiles when the conditions permit?

timucin 07-11-2002 06:29 PM

cattitude:
fuel tanks have been relocated,we took them to the front as much as possýble.using plastýc fuel tanks(not sure about the compound but not chrome or steel)
engines are all aluminum except blocks.
batteries are at the front

thought too much about taking the engines to the front by using shafts;actually ordered and received the neccessary parts but I think I will not need them besides it needs a serious redesign work at the back of the boat.
will try and see with this config.

Uncle Toys 09-17-2002 09:11 AM

timucin – Hope you don’t mind me bringing this back to the top. I was searching for something else when I ran across your thread. This is super interesting. Any updates?

p.s. Sure do appreciate all the help your country has given us during these trying times!

T2x 09-17-2002 12:20 PM

Random thoughts:
After looking at those props and drives........ I'm reducing my speed estimate to 125.

The key question so far is........................ Will it float?

The comparison to California cats is not a good one....... Left coasters stick V-8's in anything.......That doesn't make it sensible......nor particularly desireable. The 28 is an outboard design (as in original concept by builder). The boat was specifically tailored for 2 (not 3) 2.5 Merc outboards. The 28's with 300x's are slightly tail heavy as it is...... both at rest and in rough seas........

The flatbed boat hauler is priceless................

The comments on the 2.5's in Turkey make me wonder about the fuel over there, as mine run like tops.......with virtually no problems. Granted the TPI settings are critical on these motors and you better have a Mercury computer to assure that all electronic functions are in acceptable ranges. After that the engines are basically bullet proof.

Good luck and be safe.

T2x