Notices

fuel pressure Question???

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure Question???

I have a 97 Baja 272 With a 502Mag MPI Cool fuel SN# starts with OK17......dont know the rest sry.

Anyways i have been having some issues with it not running right latly. For the first 5 minutes or so it runs great. Then it loses all mid to high RPM Power and takes forever to get on plane from a standstill. Seems to idle fine and rev fine in neutral.

I have checked all the plugs they look good to me but I am no expert. The distributor cap had some corrosion on the inside of it so I replaced it and the rotor. I put new wires on because a few looked cracked and like they have never been changed before...the boat is 15yrs old.

i just checked my fuel pressure here is what i saw.

Just turning the key on, not starting= 28psi which drop'd with in a second to 20psi. It held @ 20psi for a few minutes then slowly droped to 15psi where it held.
Running at idel= 25-27psi
Running at idel with vaccume hose off of the pressure reg 30-32psi.......note: I am assuming that the circle thing on the front of the fuel rail right by the shrader valve is the fuel reg.
Running at 3k RPM= 20-22psi

My question is this. Is the Fuel Pump bad or the pressure regulator or both. Anyone know for sure?
Edit: or could i have a restriction somewhere in the fuel line?

Any help you guys can offer would be most appreciated.

Last edited by tlracer1; 07-17-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by tlracer1
I have a 97 Baja 272 With a 502Mag MPI Cool fuel SN# starts with OK17......dont know the rest sry.

Anyways i have been having some issues with it not running right latly. For the first 5 minutes or so it runs great. Then it loses all mid to high RPM Power and takes forever to get on plane from a standstill. Seems to idle fine and rev fine in neutral.

I have checked all the plugs they look good to me but I am no expert. The distributor cap had some corrosion on the inside of it so I replaced it and the rotor. I put new wires on because a few looked cracked and like they have never been changed before...the boat is 15yrs old.

i just checked my fuel pressure here is what i saw.

Just turning the key on, not starting= 28psi which drop'd with in a second to 20psi. It held @ 20psi for a few minutes then slowly droped to 15psi where it held.
Running at idel= 25-27psi
Running at idel with vaccume hose off of the pressure reg 30-32psi.......note: I am assuming that the circle thing on the front of the fuel rail right by the shrader valve is the fuel reg.
Running at 3k RPM= 20-22psi

My question is this. Is the Fuel Pump bad or the pressure regulator or both. Anyone know for sure?

Any help you guys can offer would be most appreciated.
did you replace the fuel water seperator ?.. i believe the pressure koeo should be 38-42 psi and around 38 running..
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered

your pressure at 3k should be higher than your idle pressure i was having similar issues and it ended up being loose fittings on the supply side to my boost pump
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
did you replace the fuel water seperator ?.. i believe the pressure koeo should be 38-42 psi and around 38 running..
I replaced it at the beginning of the season...so 3 months ago.

Originally Posted by gotstreetracin
your pressure at 3k should be higher than your idle pressure i was having similar issues and it ended up being loose fittings on the supply side to my boost pump
Not sure what you mean by boost pump??? Are you referring to the fuel pump or is there a secondary pump that I'm unaware of??
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Registered

sorry i have a 496 and it has a low pressure(boost) pump and a seperate high pressure pump
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Fuel pressure is definately low. It should be around 40psi.

I would bet its the fuel pump going out, but it could be the regulator or an obstruction in the line. The only way to know for sure is to take fuel pressure readings at other spots.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Fuel pressure is definately low. It should be around 40psi.

I would bet its the fuel pump going out, but it could be the regulator or an obstruction in the line. The only way to know for sure is to take fuel pressure readings at other spots.
Dumb question

Are there more shrader valves in the fuel system somewhere?
What other places would you mean?

PS. Griff i see you're from Omaha.. you boat on the river much?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

No more valves that I'm aware of. You would have to get a brass fitting and T into the line at other locations. Most likely its the pump though.

I used to boat the river quite a bit, probably 10-15 times a year, but have not been on it since Summer 2010. I boated out of Bellevue mainly and then Sandpiper for year when Bellevue was flooded. I just used the ramps and trailered. I left the boat at LOTO all last Summer and part of this Summer already. Its home now, so I might hit the river the next 2 weekends. Then it goes back to LOTO until at least after the Shootout.