Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for 400hp on 383's >

Looking for 400hp on 383's

Notices

Looking for 400hp on 383's

Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all of you for your replies, I will consider the cam upgrade but I am also concern about reversion , I picked LSA 110 following what Dennis Moore recommends to get a bit more out of it ,agree I could have been more aggressive but having 4 kids (3 thru 13 years old) ,I won't be going top speed very often. Rather be conservative for now ,might regret it later ...I know .
Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
ummm,,your going to have allot more compression then you think! im using a .046 gasket,zero deck,,same heads as your usnig but a 355 and im at 10.2 to 1 with srp flat top pistons..thank god your using alunimum heads,shave 1 point their..

you will probably see 400 ponys and it will be all over with @ around 4500 rpm..i would go witrh the zz4 cam..
If I get 400 hp @ 4500 I will be more than satisfied , thanks for your input.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Diego9040
If I get 400 hp @ 4500 I will be more than satisfied , thanks for your input.
Call Bob at Marine Kinetics, a phone call is FREE. Have a quick chat with him and tell him what you said here.

I have one of his cams and told him my boat was for pleasure use etc. I have two younger children etc. and told him I didn't want to sacrifice usability/idle/overall tame manners and to work with the parts I already had, much like you. His prices are slightly higher than an off the shelf cam, but you will get a cam perfect for your needs/wants. He can fill you in on pricing, and in my experience is VERY fair.

FYI his cam in my boat blew my estimate out of the water by close to 50 horsepower on the dyno, idles dead on at 650-700rpm and pulls like crazy just about everywhere. There are probably hundreds of his happy customers here.

Remember a phone call costs you nothing. And the added bonus of having someone who has built damn near everything to walk you through the process is worth more than the parts.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you actually going to put one of these on a dyno and tune it?

Or just drop them in and hope for the best?

I strongly recommend dynoing at least one and copying the timing and carb jetting to the other. This way you'll know exactly what you have and where it is.

Bob Madera is an excellent builder and you are getting very good advice to speak with him.

Uncle Dave
Old 07-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Are you actually going to put one of these on a dyno and tune it?

Or just drop them in and hope for the best?

I strongly recommend dynoing at least one and copying the timing and carb jetting to the other. This way you'll know exactly what you have and where it is.

Bob Madera is an excellent builder and you are getting very good advice to speak with him.

Uncle Dave

I have heard great things about Bob, and excuse my ignorance but what can be done by dynoing the engine besides getting accurate hp/tq ?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered

I have heard great things about Bob, and excuse my ignorance but what can be done by dynoing the engine besides getting accurate hp/tq ?
No problem.

It's much easier to setup, time and tune an engine in a controlled environment like a dyno room than it is in the boat.

If you have a problem like a leaking intake manifold due to a gasket shift during final assembly (happened to me with a 406 before) its much easier to pull the manifold and carb off and put everything back together in a dyno room than in your boat.

So how much are you going to up the main jet by?

You will use more fuel with more CI and new heads- how much more? Do you know-?

I know the answer- you dont know & you will be guessing.

You can easily make these changes on the dyno and see what effect they have instantly.

Knowing what your mill CAN make is one thing getting it tuned properly to that level is the real reason to spend a day in/at a dyno.

When you drop your mills into the boat they are tuned, running as best as they can, and ready to roll.

Call me "old school" but sometimes spending a little more on something like this can save you a bunch of headaches later.

Ever had a leak from an oil pan? pretty tough to fix that in the boat as well. Are you sure you wont need better crankcase vents now with your HP bump?

I juiced up a 406 went form external balance to internal and from a solid to hot hydraulic roller and the mill made much more power torque and started pushing oil out the one breather I had. I was able to figure out I needed better crankcase ventilation after I fixed the leaking intake manifold and it started making REAL power. Never would have found that out without a big mess and a ton of work had just stuck the mill in the boat and rolled.

Oh BTW- do you have a plan to cool down your oil now that you are making more power? I strongly suggest external oil cooling.

Uncle Dave
Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
No problem.

It's much easier to setup, time and tune an engine in a controlled environment like a dyno room than it is in the boat.

If you have a problem like a leaking intake manifold due to a gasket shift during final assembly (happened to me with a 406 before) its much easier to pull the manifold and carb off and put everything back together in a dyno room than in your boat.

So how much are you going to up the main jet by?

You will use more fuel with more CI and new heads- how much more? Do you know-?

I know the answer- you dont know & you will be guessing.

You can easily make these changes on the dyno and see what effect they have instantly.

Knowing what your mill CAN make is one thing getting it tuned properly to that level is the real reason to spend a day in/at a dyno.

When you drop your mills into the boat they are tuned, running as best as they can, and ready to roll.

Call me "old school" but sometimes spending a little more on something like this can save you a bunch of headaches later.

Ever had a leak from an oil pan? pretty tough to fix that in the boat as well. Are you sure you wont need better crankcase vents now with your HP bump?

I juiced up a 406 went form external balance to internal and from a solid to hot hydraulic roller and the mill made much more power torque and started pushing oil out the one breather I had. I was able to figure out I needed better crankcase ventilation after I fixed the leaking intake manifold and it started making REAL power. Never would have found that out without a big mess and a ton of work had just stuck the mill in the boat and rolled.

Oh BTW- do you have a plan to cool down your oil now that you are making more power? I strongly suggest external oil cooling.

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave,

You are da man!!

I will run this by my builder...

Thanks again
Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Registered

Uncle Dave,

You are da man!!

I will run this by my builder...

Thanks again
Thanks,

But more accurately I'm - the guy that already made the mistakes.

Uncle Dave
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I can vouch for running the engines before plopping them in the boat. Mine runs good but I know it has more. Also have had the motor out 3 times chasing oil leaks like uncledave mentioned. If I had a dyno anywhere near me you can bet I would man up the $$$ and use it for a day. If you have one available it would be in your best interest to use it.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered

The dyno room is an important part of any real rebuild as that's where you determine weather your guy did his work and prior homework before or you are some unknown project- or guesswork.

Lots of things to go wrong in a rebuild like yours. I'm not trying to freak you out just help share a lifetime of experiences like this.

Another thing for me is the dyno room is where the engine builder gets his final payment from me. Unless he is installing it in the boat himself.

Until established in the dyno room otherwise- claims mean nothing. Results mean everything.

The dyno should be the "feelgood moment" between you and your builder with a trusted third party helping the both of you figure it out. Because you will be making changes and testing them and when the needles finally swing into where you expect them to be and the roar fills the room you know you got it.

It's not only worth every nickel you'll have fun and learn a lot in one day.

Uncle Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.