Notices

Customer's Rights?

Old 07-05-2002, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Customer's Rights?

What do you do if the mechanic performs unauthorized work? I emailed the builder and asked him to contact me regarding cams for the engine he was rebuilding. 3 weeks later he had not called me back and was not returning or taking my calls. I left a message stating that I wanted to spend more money, but I oucln't do that until he called me. I still wanted to get a cam before he was done with the engine. He calls me back and I ask him about cams. He says he's having one custom ground. He ordered it with out talking to me. I get the bill and the is a $440 cam and $615 roller lifters on there. I would not have spend over a grand for a cam had I know that's what he wanted to do. Now I have a custom ground cam in my engine that isn't making the horsepower it should on the dyno. Now what rights do I have? This is only one of the liberties the builder has taken. There are some other things, but it comes back to performing unauthorized work.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Registered

I would have a hard time eating a $440.00 camshaft. Crane, & other makers make so many cams that work good in boats. When I was running twin turbo motors I had to have special cams made. If I remember right I had one made last year from crowler & only paid $225.00 for it. It was a hyd. roller cam. My option is in a tipical marine motor that only 5500-6000 not worth sold roller. But then what do I know.

I would talk to him & ***** which I guess you alread have done.

I think you are going to have a hard time proving you did not authorize the work. If you do not pay he will want to keep your motor. If price is under $5000.00 you can do small claims court.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Registered

I sent an email asking for cam recommendations. Price and performance were noted as concerns. He did not return calls or take my calls until I called stating that I wanted to spend more money, the cam. He promptly called back and said that he had already ordered one. There was no discussion of custom ground or hyd roller lifters, $615. I expected an off the shelf cam. Not over $1000 worth of cam and lifters. Remember, he ordered this before we ever spoke about.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:20 PM
Registered

Cat, I hate to go that route. That happens in business so often that it would be nice to not have to deal with it in my free time.

I have been trying to discuss this with them and they never have time to talk when I do get a hold of them and they never return phone calls. It's the same story we've heard on the board a thousand times. I may just have to call a lawyer.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I just had 2 custom ground cams by Crower and cost $617 for BOTH total---and that was with shipping! These are billet cams with cast gears. My hydraulic roller lifters were about $375 per set. Assuming what you have said is true, I don't think he can get you just because you said you wanted to spend more money without you authorizing the work in detail. You have your boat/engine (which ever) in HIS shop and it sounds like he just declared "OPENING DAY" on your wallet. I think I'd march right over there and have a face to face chat with him!

Last edited by KAAMA; 07-05-2002 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:40 PM
Registered

Fred, I have been trying to be very reasonable. I sent them an email outlining all of my concerns. I sent an email because they have not responded to my calls. The problem is they are 400 miles away. I thought about running up early tomorrow to pay a visit to resolve this issue. If all hell breaks loose, then no one wins. Again this is only one of my concerns. There are other issues. If I go tomorrow they will be swamped with weekend work and it will make it difficult to sit down with them. Maybe mid week or so. Maybe I'll just leave it up there and forget about it.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with Too Old---be cool.

And Cat----I know you were just kiddin' in your last response, but man was that funny!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be cool and mention "Theft of Services".
Old 07-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Registered

Ken , Does "Theft of services" coincide with performiing unauthorized work and is it a legal term?
Old 07-06-2002, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your questions, yes and yes

Quick Reply: Customer's Rights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.