Notices

CMI Headers

Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Panther
I started doing it about 10 years ago. Before that I used water pressure alone.

However, one day 10 years ago I was checking a set of CMI E-tops and a guy with about 20 years more experience than I have told me I needed to use some heat because sometimes they don't leak without heat.

I thought to myself, what a waste of time.... Then I tried it and sure as sh!t I found 3 leaks in my headers.

I've tested it this way ever since.
Don't you guy's agree that this is bullchit that you even have to do this to such an expensive product . If it can't be trusted lower the price i say !!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 75 Likes on 25 Posts

I know the header issue has been beaten to death.But I had 260 hours on my CMI equipped 525"s. No problems ever. Salt water for 130 of those hours too. Proper water flow,as well as water pressure(not the same),and proper flushing will keep them alive a lot longer.I just replaced them with Gen X CMI's. I pressure tested and inspected the old one's,for the heck of it and they are perfect. Boat is a 2004. Who knows,maybe I'm just lucky.But I wouldn't hesitate to buy CMI's again. BTW if anyone needs a set of used headers, let me know. Jeff
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Don't you guy's agree that this is bullchit that you even have to do this to such an expensive product . If it can't be trusted lower the price i say !!!!!
Got rid of mine a number of years ago. F' the bling. No more headers for me. ::
Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my next boat (when and if I ever decide what that will be) has 525s I will be doing this.

Rent the jig from stainless marine, I think its just a deposit drill and tap, problem solved.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16690...dard-exit.aspx
Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.Used a combination of the ideas and came up with one leaking so I will probably just replace them with the Gen X CMIs.This will cover me for the time I will own this boat and give a future buyer some relief knowing they were replaced.I would rather put that money into 625kits at 300hrs but that will do me no good if the headers take out the motors.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

You might want to give Dana Marina a call, I'm pretty sure they make a bracket now that fits the 525 but you now use any headers for BBC.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, CMI will test, repair, and polish them for a very reasonable price. It might be worth it to send them out.

I had a couple leaks, sent mine out this winter, they charged me $350 including shipping to weld them up. Alot cheaper than $5k for a new set.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BONDO10
I know the header issue has been beaten to death.But I had 260 hours on my CMI equipped 525"s. No problems ever. Salt water for 130 of those hours too. Proper water flow,as well as water pressure(not the same),and proper flushing will keep them alive a lot longer.I just replaced them with Gen X CMI's. I pressure tested and inspected the old one's,for the heck of it and they are perfect. Boat is a 2004. Who knows,maybe I'm just lucky.But I wouldn't hesitate to buy CMI's again. BTW if anyone needs a set of used headers, let me know. Jeff

Bondo what made you change your headers if your weren't having any issues?