Off, I don't tow in the rain.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 4,294 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Off
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around town to get gas, cover on. Expressway speed, cover off. Same for both my full length cover and cockpit cover.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always been torn on this one. I prefer it on, it keeps things cleaner for sure. And with the twist style snaps on the Cig, I don't worry about it coming off.

But, the fact that I am subjecting the cover to hurricane force winds for several hours (depending on the tow) bothers me. It has to be putting a heck of a strain on the seams.

I have had a cover blow off on a crowded highway, and let me tell ya, it was scary as h&ll seeing that think lift off into the air like a giant parachute! I'm so glad it didn't wrap around any of the vehicles behind me and cause a wreck.

And of course I was in a construction zone, so there was no where to pull over. I had to circle back a few exits up. I finally found what was left of it on an off ramp. I guess it got hooked to someone and they had to exit to get it off of them.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:54 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is ridiculous.

I just trailered over 7000 miles COVERED with shrink wrap tape on the leading edge. No chafe, no tears, no nothing, The cover is 8 years old.

If you cant trailer your boat covered you either need a new cover or a new upholstery shop or maybe a new boat.
Attached Thumbnails Cover on or off towing?-imag0503.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
This is ridiculous.

I just trailered over 7000 miles COVERED with shrink wrap tape on the leading edge. No chafe, no tears, no nothing, The cover is 8 years old.

If you cant trailer your boat covered you either need a new cover or a new upholstery shop or maybe a new boat.
ALWAYS covered, unless its just a short/day trip, and I know the weather is going to be nice.

My cover was made sometime in early 2003 and it's been on the boat for at least 15,000 miles, probably closer to 20K.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Mine is always covered. I use a piece of 1/4 inch nylon rope across the bottom of the windshield and tied off to the railing to keep the first four snaps from coming undone. Thinking of installing the tarp snaps that twist shut on the front to do away with the rope.

Dave
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

I was reading all the posts yesterday thinking I need to let my boy read these before the next time we go further than just the launch. Well, I forgot to mention it. He was towing our boat to another city today with the cockpit cover on. I get a call & hear the disappointment in his voice. 2 eighteen wheelers passed one right after the other on a bridge & the next thing he sees is a fleck of blue fly. He gets off the bridge, pulls over & there are hunks of paint taken out of the back in several places. We just had the whole
boat re-airbrushed & touched up which really blows. Lesson learned the hard way.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Registered

I had to drop off my boat at a local shop one time in VA when it was raining. I didn't want to tow it uncovered, but sure enough it flew off around 45 mph. I don't tow much, so not an issue for me.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Picture taken about 2 weeks ago when I left Indiana, and arrived in Virginia later that night and looked it exactly the same.

I use Dr. Shrink's HULL PRESERVATION TAPE, not Shrink Wrap Tape.

http://www.tapejungle.com/products/P...FSc0QgodcQ0AjQ

Shrink Wrap Tape is more adhesive, and is designed to adhere shrink wrap tape to shrink wrap tape.

Hull Preservation Tape is designed to adhere shrink wrap (and/or a cockpit cover in this case) to the hull without damage, BUT I have seen it take off some clear coat before if you leave it on too long. Freshly waxed is the best way to protect the clear coat.

The most important thing with any tape that you use, is you have to put it on when the cover is dry and the hull is dry. It's not going to stick to anything when it's wet.

You can buy 3" wide blue painters tape here if you would rather use something with less adhesive:
http://www.tapejungle.com/products/P...FSc0QgodcQ0AjQ
Attached Thumbnails Cover on or off towing?-334102_4281922607022_1395758127_o.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.