Notices

Cover on or off towing?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn you guys are hardcore about covering!!! Everyone is so worried about it, guess you guys don't drive with the windows down, or own convertibles, kinda funny actually.

I guess I can understand if you are going to tow thousands of miles, you can't predict the weather, I get that. As far as road debris, are you guys all towing these down dirt roads or something???

Though in fairness one time I did need to wipe a giant bird dookie off my engine cover, it took two sheets of Bounty, and some high quality lake erie water.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 08-03-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

But if you end up driving though rain, your nice white interior will not be white anymore.

Many older (and some newer than like to admit) have plywood interiors and sometimes fixed carpet. Neither is good for prolonged exposure to moisture.

Not to mention how bad it would suck for someone to flick a Cigarette into your Cigarette while at speed and before you make your next smoke break, you are already on fire.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get it, but somebody would have to flick it there on purpose, I usually worry more about hand grenades. It would suck to wipe your vinyl for 22 seconds. And as far as wood, are you traveling cross country in a rain storm for days???

Like I said I don't tow in the rain, certainly not for "extended periods".

I'm being a smartass, and it's certainly not a bad idea to tow with a cover, but it sure makes me laugh my ass off driving up north watching everyone's cover beat the hell out of their boat, and the cover itself on a not a cloud in the sky 80 degree day.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Sounds to me a lot of boats most have poor fitting covers, mine doesn't move at all. No tape but like I said it has about 10 snaps at the base of windshield just in front.

As for not towing in the rain, reminds me of the wimp bikers that pull over when it rains,,,,,,,, if you are on a trip how long you going to wait?

I have had to both ride and trailer in the rain for a day, rode once for 2.
Yea that would have been great to sit it out!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bcschoe
this is ridiculous.

I just trailered over 7000 miles covered with shrink wrap tape on the leading edge. No chafe, no tears, no nothing, the cover is 8 years old.

If you cant trailer your boat covered you either need a new cover or a new upholstery shop or maybe a new boat.
+ 1