Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Got a tentative deal on a 24x7... Whatchya think? >

Got a tentative deal on a 24x7... Whatchya think?

Notices

Got a tentative deal on a 24x7... Whatchya think?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Got a tentative deal on a 24x7... Whatchya think?

Went and looked at a 1992 Sunsation Rocket on Sunday and came to a tentative deal...

He's going to get a trim tab/hatch hydraulic pump up and working again
Also is contingent on a surveyor checking it out and making sure everything is in good order...

Its a 454 that was rebuilt 2 years ago, ~90 hours, a new transom assembly this spring, and presumably stock bravo 1.
Motor has aluminum heads, intake manifold, and EMI Thunder (aluminum?) manifold with SS risers...
So unfortunately the first thing I will have to do is install a closed cooling system... Any suggestions?? Im thinking thats going to be around $1500 all said and done?

He claims its a 500hp motor, but im thinking a little less...
There were 3 of us on board and he just refueled it, not sure how full tank was... and it ran 67 on GPS with a 4blade 26pitch prop, turning 5k RPM. What would be best prop for this?

Felt pretty strong out there... Idled very low after the run, ~500RPM but didnt stall at all or seem it was going to.
Only thing I wasnt a fan of was some stiff steering... Any suggestions on this? What steering did the Rocket come with originally, cable or hyd?

Other than that, all the cushions in the cockpit are original but look in decent shape other than a few imperfections and cabin is also original, a lil rough, but bearable.

The hull looks solid, no cracks, spider cracks, doesnt sound hollow anywhere... The only issue is on the port side some of the clear coat looks like its cracking off...

Boat also comes with a 1992 Continental painted dual axle trailer with surge brakes... Bearing buddies install, and a few rust spots
Might sell trailer, whats something like this worth realistically?

We agree'd on a price of 10,500, but wish I wouldnt have to dump so much into it right away for the closed cooling.

does this sounds fair if he gets the trim pump working and no issues with a surveyor?

Anything to look at/for at final inspection?

Thanks... Chris

Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice haul out tractor...old Oliver?

10k is a a cheap ride on the water...don't think you are going to go wrong for the money.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tnc110
Nice haul out tractor...old Oliver?

10k is a a cheap ride on the water...don't think you are going to go wrong for the money.
Lol... Got me on the tractor. Tiny lil marina on a lake, u get in/out service. No slips...

Thats what im thinking with the price, but how much of PITA is the closed cooling system to install?

Any thoughts on the prop, trailer value, closed cooling, low idle, stiff steering?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

My guess is if it's spinning a 26 to 5k and 67 mph it's close to or just over 500hp, can't really go wrong with a turn key clean boat for 10k
Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

that sure looks like longlevel marina in wrightsville, aka lake clark, pa
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
My guess is if it's spinning a 26 to 5k and 67 mph it's close to or just over 500hp, can't really go wrong with a turn key clean boat for 10k
Thanks lil red... Same I'm thinking on price, just the closed cooling hurts but will be good for motor long term.
Should be able to recoup a good portion of the money if I decide to upgrade in 3-5 years then?
Good stuff on the HP range too... Think there's anything left in a prop change?
Not that I need/want it as she's pretty loose up there! Some hyd steering & k planes would be nice...

Originally Posted by blownhammer2000
that sure looks like longlevel marina in wrightsville, aka lake clark, pa
Yup... hopefully not there much longer! lol
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Registered

I am going to need a circulating water pump in place of the cross over when I install the closed cooling system, no??
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good price on the boat if survey checks out.

It has cable steering from factory. If its stiff it most likely needs a new cable. My original cable was replaced 3 years ago because it was stiff, mine is a 1990.

4 blade props give to much stern lift for the Rocket thats what makes it feel loose on the top end and start chine walking bad. If you do a 3 blade it will fell better and you should get over 70mph with that much HP.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
Agreed, I'd say if those speeds are accurate and that prop it's running pretty strong. I also agree with trying a 3-blade.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
Good price on the boat if survey checks out.

It has cable steering from factory. If its stiff it most likely needs a new cable. My original cable was replaced 3 years ago because it was stiff, mine is a 1990.

4 blade props give to much stern lift for the Rocket thats what makes it feel loose on the top end and start chine walking bad. If you do a 3 blade it will fell better and you should get over 70mph with that much HP.
Ya, I spoke with owner today and its still cable, though the helm and cables are new... Maybe its my imagination, just have to check it out again.

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Agreed, I'd say if those speeds are accurate and that prop it's running pretty strong. I also agree with trying a 3-blade.
Ive got a buddy that said he's got a few more props so Ill check them out if I end up getting the boat...

Thanks for all the replies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.