Notices

another ones laid to rest

Old 07-08-2002, 05:50 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry another ones laid to rest

Why do people still want to endanger themselves along with everyone else???
When will common sense get instilled in people that alcohol does NOT allow you to properly think!!!!!!!
Even our own military personal think they are with out the risk and dangers.

Wonder if we should think about getting out of our sport before everyone else gets boating outlawed
Rest in peace and prayers go out to all those who have lost.

One killed, five injured when two boats collide near Stillwater<%) STILLWATER, Minn. (AP) -- The victim of a St. Croix River boating accident involving members of the Minnesota National Guard was identified Thursday as 1st Lt. Nathan Nieber. The 26-year-old soldier was killed and five others were injured Wednesday when a 31-foot cruiser rammed a fishing boat on the river just south of downtown Stillwater. The injured soldiers were Michael Wehking, 39, of Arden Hills; Amanda Digre, 34, of Maplewood; Angela Amundson, 31, of Cottage Grove; Scott MacDonald, 37, of Rosemount; and Judith Strain, 33, of Rochester. None of the injuries appear to be life-threatening, Guard officials said Thursday. The Minnesota National Guard members on board both boats had been on an all-day outing that included alcohol, but Washington County Sheriff Jim Frank said it wasn' ' t clear if alcohol was a factor in the collision of the two boats. Blood-test results for the drivers of both boats were pending. Nieber died of massive trauma to his upper body, Frank said. The collision happened about 4:30 p.m. when an 18-foot Lund fishing boat with six Guard members aboard stopped in the river and the cruiser with five Guard members aboard plowed into the smaller boat. It was not clear why the smaller boat stopped, Frank said. The cruiser ' ' tried to make evasive moves when the small boat stopped, ' ' ' ' he said. No one in the larger boat was injured. The incident is under investigation, and no one had been arrested, Frank said. ' ' This is truly a tragedy, ' ' ' ' said Maj. Gen. Eugene Andreotti. ' ' Lieutenant Nieber was one of our brightest young officers. The Minnesota National Guard family mourns his loss and will do everything in its power to support his family.' ' ' ' Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Denny Shields said 40 people -- all full-time employees of the 34th Infantry Division -- were taking part in a pre-holiday gathering. Nieber, who was engaged, was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 135th Infantry, based in Mankato, but he was employed full-time by the 34th Infantry Division in Rosemount. The accident was the state' ' s 10th boating-related fatality this year.
Published Jul 4 2002
Old 07-08-2002, 05:53 PM
SunseekerNY

Default Re: another ones laid to rest

Originally posted by MnFastBoat
The accident was the state' ' s 10th boating-related fatality this year.
Published Jul 4 2002
You're kidding, right? It's only July..... Damn.

Old 07-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Kohldog

I was north of Stillwater when this happened and headed down river. When I arrived in town the Lifelink helicopter was sitting on shore waiting to make a pickup and all 4 local news helicopters were flying a pattern over the area. It was a very somber scene to witness after what happened 3 years ago.

Troutley, have you heard why the Lund stopped? Did the driver own the cruiser?

I had a chance to drive a 32" wide beam cruiser last week. It was very similar to the one in the accident. Having driven my 26" and a 357 formula I was surprised at the total lack of manuverability and slow response of the cruiser. I don't understand why an experienced driver would have been directly behind a much smaller boat but if he was I can see how he would not be able to avoid it if it stopped in front of him.