Notices

Anchor recommendation

Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anchor recommendation

I bent my danforth anchor at LOTO this week and it needs to be replaced. I read several threads about box anchors and it seems people like them a lot. But what's the verdict on the claw style anchors like Lewmar and others?

Save
Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Fortress (Guardian is basically the same thing with less warranty). They are light and they work. I like them MUCH better than danforth.

I'm not sure what LOTO has for a bottom though, there might be a better solution based on where you boat. I boat with a sandy or mucky bottom and the fortress works great.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292
I bent my danforth anchor at LOTO this week and it needs to be replaced. I read several threads about box anchors and it seems people like them a lot. But what's the verdict on the claw style anchors like Lewmar and others?

Save
Honestly would go with the box anchor. Sets quick, holds well, folds flat and stores easy. The space savings and storage aspects are just huge plusses.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

How do you bend an anchor? Isn't that like breaking an anvil?

+1 for Box Anchor. I've been a fan for 10 years and still on same exact anchor after a couple boats.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 for Box Anchor. Love mine.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

+3 for box anchor. Held 4 boats with mine at Desert Storm shootout when none else could get an anchor to hold in the wind and deep water.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

+4 for box anchor. I sh!tcanned my Fortress after a few times anchoring with the Box Anchor. However, the Box Anchor is a heavy bugger.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Box anchor! No chain needed. Plus it resets itself if the wind shifts. Also folds up and stores much easier. I had to cut mine loose over the 4th of July weekend because some dumb a$$ was dragging his anchor all over as a storm was coming in. He had another boat tied up to him, all of the guys were on the bow trying to pull the anchor with no one at the helm. So instead of driving up to the anchor under power, they were at the mercy of the wind. Well their boat came at me with a furry. They hit the bow of my boat while they were sideways, thus my bow punched a 6" hole in the side of their POS. to avoid any more damage to my boat, I quickly untied my anchor line and let it go. Lost $150 anchor and $150 worth of 5/8" line...... But all I ended up with was a scuffed up rub rail at the bow. I came close to jumping over to that POS and throwing the a-hole(s) into the water!

Obviously by the rage in my story, you can tell I loved my box anchor.

Last edited by low_psi; 08-01-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Box anchor! No chain needed. Plus it resets itself if the wind shifts. Also folds up and stores much easier. I had to cut mine loose over the 4th of July weekend because some dumb a$$ was dragging his anchor all over as a storm was coming in. He had another boat tied up to him, all of the guys were on the bow trying to pull the anchor with no one at the helm. So instead of driving up to the anchor under power, they were at the mercy of the wind. Well their boat came at me with a furry. They hit the bow of my boat while they were sideways, thus my bow punched a 6" hole in the side of their POS. to avoid any more damage to my boat, I quickly untied my anchor line and let it go. Lost $150 anchor and $150 worth of 5/8" line...... But all I ended up with was a scuffed up rub rail at the bow. I came close to jumping over to that POS and throwing the a-hole(s) into the water!

Obviously by the rage in my story, you can tell I loved my box anchor.
It's a good thing you didn't have a beak on your boat; probably would have sank theirs.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It's a good thing you didn't have a beak on your boat; probably would have sank theirs.
Probably would have made it thru to the other side....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.