Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Impaled by a cleat!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28209-impaled-cleat.html)

G-Force 07-08-2002 12:57 PM

Impaled by a cleat!!

A buddy of mine hooked up with me over the weekend to watch fireworks on the water. While he was tying up to me, one of the women who was on the engine hatch holding a rope went ass over tea kettle (not quite certain how/why that happened - not certain if she was drunk or just a klutz) and ended up on her ass on the swim platform.
Well, that's a good thing right? At leat she didn't end up in the water!
As she's sitting there I see her calf is impaled on the rear cleat!:eek: It was at least 1 inch inside the tissue.
She lifts her leg off, and sure enough, at least an inch of fatty tissue is just HANGING out of the wound. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!!

I grab her calf and closed the wound, and then had her hold it together while I grabbed my first aid kit. Stuffed all the tissue back inside and wrapped it up good and tight and waved to them all as they went to the local hospital.
2 hours and 4 stitches later she was back out to watch the fireworks and enjoy the evening! She was a real trooper about the whole thing.

But man...how much pressure would you have to excert to have a relatively dull cleat-end go an inch into your calf?:confused: :eek:
Well, at least I finally got to use my first aid kit!!

seanclong 07-08-2002 01:21 PM

OUCH!!!! :eek:

You can see why pop-up cleats are so attractive. I hope due to your quick thinking and Red Cross skills she heals quickly and cleanly. Good Work!! :D

CigDaze 07-08-2002 01:39 PM

Ooouucchhh!:eek:
That'll put a damper on things...I nearly took a toe off once after booting my stern cleat(but I'm the dummy because I left it popped-up):rolleyes:

Wild Horses 07-08-2002 01:49 PM

I did that 10 years ago on my first boat. Over the windshield I went and slipped.... all the way to the front and impaled my heal right into the bone. :eek: Bleeeeeed or what. Still have the scar.

BoatChic 07-08-2002 01:58 PM

Ouch. My friend brushed her lower leg against a 40'Hustler prop in a large raft of boats Thurs.
Off to the hospital, it was deep, she got 3 stitches inside and 7 outside.

Wally 07-08-2002 02:20 PM

It really dont take much at all. I stabbed my foot in the Keys about two years ago right at the begining of the trip. :mad: Made the rest of the two weeks kinda hard walking around!

jokerswild 07-08-2002 04:41 PM

hey wally- was that from too many grape nehi's??:D

Kohldog 07-08-2002 05:07 PM

Two weeks ago I was on a shallow beach with the drives trimmed up. I warned everybody to stay away from the props but one girl started gabbing and brushed against the prop with her thigh causing a deap 2 inch gash. Luckily we were on the beach with a medical sales rep who teaches doctors how to apply a medical superglue called Dermabond. She cleaned the wound, then applied the glue while saying a bunch of medical mumbo jumbo and the girl was back swimming in about 10 minutes. It definately saved us a trip to the hospital that day.

Pantera1 07-08-2002 05:23 PM

What kind of cleats?

Some of those pop ups and hereshoffs (spelling?) seem a little sharp...Heres a tip or a lack thereof..When a bunch of people are swimming around the boat etc..I trim em up and put plastic buchets over the props ..Hey now theres an idea for a product:D

SparkyAZ 07-08-2002 05:29 PM

Thursday night at around 6:30pm while beached in the channel at Lake Havasu we were all preparing to go to dinner so we could make it back in time to watch the fireworks. I was sitting on my sun platform facing forward when my buddy gave me a thump on my chest letting me know the D-Backs won. I lost my balance did a summersalt off the back of the boat hit the outdrive and then the prop. 5 stitches and 5 stitches... took about 4 hours of waiting so no fireworks and they all ate dinner without us