Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will Blackhawk drive's work on a scarab 29? >

Will Blackhawk drive's work on a scarab 29?

Notices

Will Blackhawk drive's work on a scarab 29?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Blackhawk drive's work on a scarab 29?

I know the p29's had the Blackhawks, is there any difference between the scarab 29 and p29 that hinder blackhawks from working on a non P29 scarab. Is the x dim or anything on the hull different on the p29 than the regular 29?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by T-RAV
I know the p29's had the Blackhawks, is there any difference between the scarab 29 and p29 that hinder blackhawks from working on a non P29 scarab. Is the x dim or anything on the hull different on the p29 than the regular 29?
Two differences between the hulls: The P-29 is about 700 lbs lighter and it does not have the wedge on the bottom at the reansom molded in between the lifting strake and the chine. These would certainly make a difference, although that is no to say that the Blackhawks wont work. If you have access to them the swap can be done pretty quickly as the BH and Bravo used the same helmet.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a BH for most of one summer, I found the X dimension is critical, f it is set to low it produces quite a bit of stern lift. The X on my rig was 16X1/2", 1" short of opium. The drive produce little to no positive trim, plus all dou props give stern lift add that to a low set drive and you end up with disappointment!!!!! Those factors make hull configuration and setup very important, it is not a slap on and go drive. Up on the Donzi net we had and 18 that ran a hair short of 80 with a dead stock 300 Merc, the boat was setup to perfection. We have had a few since that slapped the BH's on with gobs of HP and did not perform near as well considering the extra HP. A couple of the boats should have approached 100 but fell way short, to get the max out of the drive the gear cases must be out of the water flow. 17.5 is where the drive must be or you are wasting your time, the only part of the drive that can be in the flow is the fin and props.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I guess the big question would be is there a difference in the height of the transom assemblies so the x dim would work on non p-29's. I would like a p-29, but the wife puts her foot down because she is not a fan of all the yellow. I should just put my foot somewhere!! All the searching I have done I cannot find where anyone has tried it, so I figured I would see if anyone has or had since.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-RAV
I guess the big question would be is there a difference in the height of the transom assemblies so the x dim would work on non p-29's. I would like a p-29, but the wife puts her foot down because she is not a fan of all the yellow. I should just put my foot somewhere!! All the searching I have done I cannot find where anyone has tried it, so I figured I would see if anyone has or had since.
Contact he guy with the yellow ang gray 29 that has his boat for sale in the classifieds.

Tell your wife you can cover the boat with a wrap and make it any color she wants.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Contact he guy with the yellow ang gray 29 that has his boat for sale in the classifieds.

Tell your wife you can cover the boat with a wrap and make it any color she wants.
Thanks will do! I knew I saw on somewhere just didn't remember!!