Second crappy boating Season

Notices

Second crappy boating Season

Old 08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete280
This is my first year with a full time bimini top and I love it, nothing better than being out on the boat without getting fried
All of our boats have Bimini Tops, can't boat in Fl. w/o 1, in my opinion, especailly if you have Manatee Zones!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cigboat1
.Now for this season its been so God Awful hot that you can't go out in the day time without getting cooked to death-----------------No bimini top on the boat.
Welcome to our world, LOL!!!
I've heard that the midwest and lower Great lakes areas have experienced a Texas summer this year. I must have a top because I work outdoors every day in this skin baking sun and don't want it when I'm off and enjoying myself. The heat ain't so bad when your wet and in the shade.
I've got a full size bimini top that'll fit a 9'3" beam I'd sell if your interested. It's in good shape but missing a few of the knick knack fasteners at the rear's bottom. I used to just tie them to the receiver with baling wire and cinch them with linesman pliers and cut the baling wire when I folded it down or removed it.

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Lake Michigan water is almost 80*.. I LOVE IT!
OMG, I'd die for cold water temps like these, we currently hop into mid 90's water in our lake water and high 80's at the coast and in the bays.
I keep the chillers on my swimming pool at 85 but would be down around 80 to 82 if I could afford the electricity. In last summers heat wave and drought I was forking 11 to 1300 monthly for electricity most of which is my home AC and the pool chillers.

Thankfully we've been blessed with cold beer and with a tad of rock salt in the cooler it gets it a little bit colder and the ice doesn't melt as fast.

I hope all of y'all are enjoying your summers with your friends and families.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I been boating every weekend, when it gets hot we go to the sandbar or north side of KI all day and swim, hit the bars at night... I will however have AC next year for those few days that you cant sleep due to humidity... and the dogs would like it too....

I think we have had a great summer, hot and dry.. I had to cover boat once this year... love that!!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spent the day from 8am to dark on Saturday in Havasu running from the dam to Needles and the temp was about 120.This is normal for us and we just deal with it but shade is a must with lots of water and a few beers inbetween,we run hard for a couple of hours and then put up the govenor(shade) and cruise for the rest of the day and then drop it before sundown and run hard again.We do get on the water early because if you step out of the truck at 11am and the ramp is 125degrees you pass out,it just takes a bit to acclamate to it.Tons of boats out there and many with no shade in the sun all day,but that is usually the young crowd,used to do that but need shade now.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

From my count I have only lost 3 weekend boating DAYS this season to rain. Living in upsate Ny I can remember summers that never really came. Snow in the Adirondacks one Memorial day weekend 10 years ago. A 65 degree 50 mph wind 4th of July in 2009 with record rain that summer. One year we had countless 90 degree mondays and tuesdays, but rainy cool weekends.

I think this year and last have been GREAT! Its summers like these that people WISH they had boats and pools.

If I had two gripes from this year it would be 1. low water levels 2. engines don;t make as much power at 100 degrees high humidity. This summer has been a 9.5/10 for me

There is one place in this country that you can count on mid 70's weather consistantly, that is the west coast. Keep in mind you are lucky enough to live in an area that houses 75% of the world's fresh water lakes