Notices

110 mph 25' Donzi

Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tyler has a 22.. He is dialing it in still, it runs well. And I LOVE the no windshield look..

FWIW, my buddy Jim had (just sold) a procharged 454 22 classic running 94ish all day long. Nothing fancy, stock 454 with a blower and a shorty, no internal mods.

Keith's (Silverback) 25 had a pretty trick engine AIR, and not a ton more weight. It also was a pad hull as DW mentioned, and the pad was different from the factory than any other I have seen before or since.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody wet the bed this morining....

chill out dude

you said that you don't believe the boat was capable of the speeds claimed...guys that know the boat first hand said it was capable...end of story...let it go...

Originally Posted by cfischer
I am not trying to start anything with you or Scott B but one you're saying "i worship the ground Parnell walks on" and Scott says he won't lower to my level. I haven't criticized either of you but you 2 seem to want to say chit like that. I said Parnell is one of my closest friends and I guess in your little guy world you think that means I worship him. I don't give a fuk about the boats anymore and if you want to make is personal let me know. you don't know me guy.

and i've seen Parnells dyno sheets and his motor made well over 700hp. funny now the 25's motor is 1000hp but in the start of the thread is says 800??
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tnc110

chill out dude

you said that you don't believe the boat was capable of the speeds claimed...guys that know the boat first hand said it was capable...end of story...let it go...
haha!! i think most boats are capable of that speed but questioned a 25 with from what i read has 800hp??

i'm not pissed at all and i love classic donzis especially ones that go like hell!! i just don't like guys saying dumb chit. i can't remember the last time i wet the bed??!! i think KW 07' when my buddies made me drink 15 redbull/vodka and a chit ton of shots!!!! thanks parn and curt!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by tnc110

chill out dude

with the proper hp that boat may reach 110 mph,,but not with a gm block that wont support the kind of hp needed for the boat to reach that speed for any period of time let alone trying to get to that speed...now i know the zx gets real squirly after 85 ish mph and i talked to the hedge last night and he also mentioned that you really have to know what your doing in that little boat over 90,,one little ripple and it could get catastrophic.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, don't be dragging my way into this conversation Fixx...
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe the 25ZX is a non-step hull with a small pad. I had one left at my dock for well over a year, (502Mag MPI) got to know it well.

We also set up a neighbors 25 Baja (very similar hull, small pad) with a M1SC Pro Charged 502, fitted with an R-Tech Supercooler (low restriction highly efficient intercooler) set up on Nickerson's dyno. Made just under 800hp. It was a struggle to hit 90. 110 mph. is just not believable to me.

Fun bench racing though!

Kurt
Old 08-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

I've been watching this thread with interest...

To set the record straight, Tyler and Logan are sons of a great guy named Gregg. Great crew and their 22 does run.

I did some prop testing/trading and set-up talk with the first owner of the 25Z. Based on what he was doing at the time, I have no doubt that it was running over 100.

I've run several times next to Parn in both of his boats. The GT is apples and oranges to a Z-boat. The GT is more like a Classic, and that one is built like a, well you know...

Edit: And to Biggus, I've spent my share of time beating up on benchracers on the Donzi sites. Most people said what I am doing with my Classic couldn't be done either. Not without a charger, but it does. Seeing is believing, and these boats can be made to do some pretty incredible things, including a 25Z at 100+. Agree with you on the Baja, as HP can only do so much with that hull.

Last edited by roadtripse; 08-15-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered

Not trying to start anything either, but you are the one who came on here claiming a boat you know nothing about can't crack 100, called out Scott B and claimed anything Parnell says is true.

First, Parnell is a great guy and a freind. He said at AOTH 2 years ago his Gt was in the 600 hp range. He also said his biggest obstacle to speed was the GT-21 hull and drive. The drive is simply too low to get big speed. The GT-21 was more of a gentleman's cruiser than a flat performance boat. It was never meant to go fast. BTW, there was a twin engine GT-21 made. Pretty cool if you ever see one.

Now to Keith's boat. If you had read the thead posted at the beginning of this thread on d.net about the build, it would have answered all your questions. Since it is 100+ pages long, I will summarize but not say what was done to the boat.

Kieth showed up with a pad bottom 25 ZX. Much like Scott said, no one had seen one before. There were a couple of guys putting big power into ZX's at the time, mainly Bill and Brian. Kieth had no experience, but did have time and money. He worked on oil platforms off the Louisiana coast. he would work a few weeks and then have a few weeks off, or something like that. Anyway, the 25 was pretty much stock as I remember when it started. He would ask advice, it would be given, he would try it and give us the results. The speeds went up.

Kieth tried ALOT of different things and setups. He would always tell us the results, and not all were good. About the middle of the thread, he would ask advice, it would be given by guys with decades of experience, and he would blow them off or tell them they did not know what they were talking about. IMO, he became too big for his britches and kinda a concieted know it all. Arguements ensued, he would be told he was an idiot for some of the sttuff he was trying as well as congratulated on some of his successes. Yes, I gave some advice and slapped him around some as well.

He made some big mistakes over the build and even got out of control in the high 90's. Through persaverence, trial and error, stubborness, will power, and a hell of a lot of help, he did get well over 100 mph. From what I remember, it actually handled pretty well and the finished product was pretty solid. You have to remember, the ZX was not the ZR and was more of a performance cruiser, not a race or true performance boat. I remembered he tried all kinds of things, extension boxes, drives, X dimension, and a ton of other stuff.

His attitude cost him though. He burned alot of bridges and lost alot of friends on d.net. He wasn't run off of the boards, just most wouldn't respond or deal with him anymore. When the BP spill happened, he said he was out of work and had to sell the boat. A couple of months later, he said he was going to keep it. Then he dissapeared. The Ebay ad said the boat is in Louisiana, where he is from, so it might be him selling it.

All in all, get a six pack, clear a couple of hours, and read the thread. It has it all, love, action, drama, fights, makeups, etc.... Most importantly, it has some really good advice on how to make a heavy, stepped cruiser go really fast. It is a good read with some damn good info.

I will say, even though I never really liked Kieth, the boat does go well over 100 and had alot of R&D done on it. Due to the ad description, I would say Kieth sold it and the new owner is selling it. Kieth was proud of his end product and he did alot to it. If it was him selling it, I would thing it would have had a 3 page description on it, much like the 100 page thread. More than likely, the new owner knows very little about it, like saying it has a 454 when I know it has a Mark Boos 502 or 540.

Heck, he was only asking 20,000.00. The engine, custom drive, exhaust, and other parts on it are worth more than that.

In the end, despite a bad description, the boat hauls the mail in well excess of 100 mph and is worth 20,000.00 easily.

Last edited by Donziweasel; 08-15-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Registered

with the proper hp that boat may reach 110 mph,,but not with a gm block that wont support the kind of hp needed for the boat to reach that speed for any period of time let alone trying to get to that speed...now i know the zx gets real squirly after 85 ish mph and i talked to the hedge last night and he also mentioned that you really have to know what your doing in that little boat over 90,,one little ripple and it could get catastrophic.
Mike, he was well over 100.

I believe the 25ZX is a non-step hull with a small pad. I had one left at my dock for well over a year, (502Mag MPI) got to know it well.
Too be honest, I can't remember whether is was a stepped hull or not. I know Bill's and Brian's are, so I just assumed his was as well. I am sure it is in that thread somewhere.

Edit: And to Biggus, I've spent my share of time beating up on benchracers on the Donzi sites. Most people said what I am doing with my Classic couldn't be done either. Not without a charger, but it does. Seeing is believing, and these boats can be made to do some pretty incredible things, including a 25Z at 100+. Agree with you on the Baja, as HP can only do so much with that hull.
Todd, the Flowerpot is the fastest NA 22 I have ever seen. Your boat rocks.

Guys, Kieth spent BIG money on that ZX. HUGE money. Throw enough cash at a Bayliner and it will rip.

Funny thing is, when the thread first started, I remember Kieth was only looking for 80.

Last edited by Donziweasel; 08-15-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

The zx25 is not stepped. I originally posted this thread because I too have a pad bottom zx25. The reason for the post was to find out how safe this boat is at 100+. I want to go fast...but don't want to be sitting on the edge of the seat the whole time....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.