Notices

Return of My Way???

Old 08-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
The repair that will be done to My Way will in no way, shape, or form will equate to a bondo-filled Ferrari.
.....or a perfect hull direct from the mold.

You can fix a mirror too, but you always see the "cracks" staring back at you in the reflection, because you will always know it's there...

Back in 87 wrecked my then 6 month old Acura Legend..they fixed it perfectly and no one would know it ($15k worth)...I traded it the day I got it from the Body shop. In other words it's just my opinion of what I would do, I didn't want a "wrecked new car"...simple as that.

It's either "As New", or "Fixed Good As New"...2 totally different things IMHO.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24

You can fix a mirror too, but you always see the "cracks" staring back at you in the reflection, because you will always know it's there...

Back in 87 wrecked my then 6 month old Acura Legend..they fixed it perfectly and no one would know it ($15k worth)...I traded it the day I got it from the Body shop. In other words it's just my opinion of what I would do, I didn't want a "wrecked new car"...simple as that.

Cheers,

Dave
Carbon fiber doesn't weaken. Also, there's no structural integrity where the hole is. If you remember, that is the same place the Outerlimits Lucas oil boat that rolled at 120 punctured a hole. Not sure how your comparing bondo to carbon fiber....
Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheers,

Dave
I think you might be surprised with todays tech how well a mirror can be fixed. They are fixing windhield chips with epoxy and they are undectable

If you car was made of glue like a boat I think you would feel better about the repair.

If your acura went back to ACURA for the repair, I am positive the repair would be undectable as well. Body shops are under the direction of the insurance company to return your car to "acceptable" not same as new. This boat is self insured, one of a kind, and the owner will not cut corners.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
I was just reading a article where it says My Way has about 250k worth of damage and will miss this years Loto Shootout, but plans to have fixed for spring 2013,

My question is would you get on that boat again at 200mph?? We've all seen the pics/video I'm sure there even more damage structurally then we even know, I do not think I could get on that boat again to push the limits of water and speed.

YES/NO

do not turn this into "that thread" I was just wondering what the general consensus is

I would think the boat could be rebuilt. Look at all the race boats that are pieced back together after mishaps and they still race....I guess alot would have to do with how much damage (if any) are to the running surface of the hull....
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
Carbon fiber doesn't weaken. Also, there's no structural integrity where the hole is. If you remember, that is the same place the Outerlimits Lucas oil boat that rolled at 120 punctured a hole. Not sure how your comparing bondo to carbon fiber....
I think most people do not realize how thin a modern boat race boat, and even production boats are in that area. Like you said that area is generally not structure, and not made to be the bottom at 160 mph.

For those that think this can not be repaired, do you believe this boat was made with only one 120 ft x 18ft piece of carbon fiber???? this boat was "glued" together, like all of them, and it will be guled again
Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
Not comparing Bondo to Carbon Filber..comparing would I want a repaired boat or a non-repaired boat given unlimited resources. Simple question, simple answer (at least for me :-)

In other words, you go to buy a boat..you find 2 identical boats at the same location, same color, same power, same equipment, same hours, same trailer...same PRICE...one is original never damaged, one is damaged but repaired "stronger"....which would YOU buy??

Simple as that.

Getting to the technical side of this (of which I originally wasn't discussing) ...when Forumula 1 Cars are wrecked and their Carbon Fiber "structures" are damaged...are the damaged "structures" repaired or replaced?

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by 78CIG24; 08-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,241 Posts

One more MY WAY THREAD this week and I`m gonna scream!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Everybody seems to have forgotten that John Cosker himself pronounced the damage to be "cosmetic." With the talent in his shop, I'd believe it can most certainly can be fixed.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Everybody seems to have forgotten that John Cosker himself pronounced the damage to be "cosmetic." With the talent in his shop, I'd believe it can most certainly can be fixed.
Ya, what would he know lol

Still kills me that most think it is going to be fixed as fast as possible and show up on a used car lot with a clean title.

There are boats out there that have been repaired the right way, and no one would know. I think some are picturing a half azz repair they have seen sticking out the side of some old cruiser they once saw.

This boat wasn't extruded out of a machine as one soild piece. It is not billet! lol This boat was hand laid using PIECES of material all glued together, what is the problem?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

Not comparing Bondo to Carbon Filber..comparing would I want a repaired boat or a non-repaired boat given unlimited resources. Simple question, simple answer (at least for me :-)

In other words, you go to buy a boat..you find 2 identical boats at the same location, same color, same power, same equipment, same hours, same trailer...same PRICE...one is original never damaged, one is damaged but repaired "stronger"....which would YOU buy??

Simple as that.

Getting to the technical side of this (of which I originally wasn't discussing) ...when Forumula 1 Cars are wrecked and their "structures" are damaged...are the damaged "structures" repaired or replaced?

Cheers,

Dave
I just got word that Mr T read your post and decided to scrap the whole project due to resale value.

Your comparison doesn't make a lot of sense, and is not relative. We all reasearch used boats, and your right, if is sunk or got smashed we run. But that is because 1. there are more to choose from and 2. we do not know if the repair was done properly. Repairs have been made to many boats and most would not have a clue. Look how many transom and stringer replacement threads are on this site alone, all of them look better after than when they began.

Guess they should just get on boat trader and look for another 50 ft turbine mystic to buy???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.