Sway Bars do they really work??? >

Sway Bars do they really work???

Notices

Sway Bars do they really work???

Old 07-09-2002, 10:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that this is a case of "that depends". If you are going 80 MPH downhill it is probably not advisable. Seriously, if it is an occasional problem and not the result of a badly set up trailer or tow vehicle - maybe caused by a gust of wind or passing truck - then you may be able to correct it by accelerating. If your rig is just unstable, accelerating will be a VERY short tem solution.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Wild Horses

When I towed my new boat home for the first time I almost lost it within 5 miles on the pickup point. Problem.... well a 1500 Chev towing 11000# plus was one of the problems, however, two things we discovered were:
1. Boat was to far back on the trailer and there was hardly any tongue weight
2. The outdrives would sometimes swing back and fourth causing a swaying effect.

Moving the boat forward and tieing off the drives helped sort out the problem. Buying the dually three years later solved it.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Shane, he has a 2500 VAN; lots of swayable weight back there on the back half; pre-load with trailer.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:25 AM
Secret F233

Ya I guess I should have been more specific the Van is Old it has 224,000 miles on it so new shocks & springs but whats a rear Sway bar knowones mentioned that to me yet???

The tongue weight was around 300lbs but now its around 150lbs & it’s much worse now that it’s weighs less. The tires on the trailer are old & dry rotted so new Goodyear marathons will help im shure.

& this sounds Dumb but what’s a load distributed hitch look like mine has a surge braking system on it & the brake & hitch is on the top of the main beam but the trailer is junk it’s a 84 shorelander dual axle with the damn rollers on it…but it’s all I got so I want to make it work…

Ok so:
1. New trailer tires
2. New shocks & air springs
3. Tongue weight at 500
4. Load distributed hitch

Old 07-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Secret F233

Yes accelerate when I hit the brakes is when the van started skidding side to side so I hammered it but the faster I go the more it sways so I did manage to slow it by downshifting though…

Old 07-09-2002, 10:32 AM
Secret F233

ya it's a 2500 GMC Explorer Raised Roof so..... pulls & stops it fine just very scary with others in the car or on the hwy....

I appreciate all the help guys I knew I need to ask the OSO board for real answers before I end up another accident story….

Last edited by Secret F233; 07-09-2002 at 10:40 AM.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Secret, I think you are on the right track. You may not need 500 lbs of tongue weight. 400 may be enough. If possible, add tongue weight by moving the trailer axles back. THis will lengthen the wheelbase of the trailer which should also improve sway. Don't overlook the tire pressure in the truck. Soft tires will contribute to movement which can start an oscillation. The truck sway bar is a torsion bar which connects the ends of the rear axle and mounts to the frame of the truck. As the truck starts to lean in a turn the outside wheel is pushed up against the spring pressure. As this happens, the sway bar will distribute some of this force to the opposite wheel reducing the body lean. Also has the effect of stabilizing the truck though I don't know how much it would affect this situation. Load distributing hitches are a little difficult to describe but if you don't know what it is you don't have one. Its purpose is to push some of the tongue weight on to the front wheels of the truck. You should not need one on a trailer with only 400 lbs of tongue weight.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:01 AM
Secret F233

Thanks laster thats a good idea i didn't even think about creating more wheel base so acualy move the 2 axles apart or just back????

We moved the boat back on the trailer but it took off more lbs & that was not the awnser..

Old 07-09-2002, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to repeat, tire pressure and tongue weight. I put larger tires on my truck but they where not rated as high as the old ones. When towing it felt like I was riding on water balloons! Very unstable. My tire pressure noe is 65 lbs. in the front and 60 in the back.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Secret F233

Exactly Ken that’s it Water Balloons is what it feels like the also feels like I’m steering from the rear like I need to point the back of the van in the direction I want to go….

Quick Reply: Sway Bars do they really work???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.