Girl cut by propeller after falling from boat on Lake Lanier >

Girl cut by propeller after falling from boat on Lake Lanier

Notices

Girl cut by propeller after falling from boat on Lake Lanier

Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am all for the course/tests. It has helped a LOT in NH from what I understand. In NH you now have to go to the course you can no longer take it online. They did it online at first because of the number of people that would have needed to take it they could not handle it. I took it then even though I rarely go to NH. I figured maybe some day I will want to go and better to have it. The problem is I don't think it would stop people from doing things like this. 1 problem is that a lot of owners don't want to be the "bad guy" and they will just let people go up there anyhow, I see enough guys with NH registrations going down our river faster then they should. It always cracks me up (After I hold my boat off from smashing into the dock), when people are almost on plane in our river to get to the locks. How can they seriously think that is OK.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
These online coast guard courses are great for someone who has never ever been on the water.... Other wise 4hrs you'll never get back of your life!! So repetitive & repeating could easily be cut back to an hour! Learned nothing passed every quiz & test & still took 4hrs.

Found out it was mandatory for me to take this class a couple weeks ago when getting stopped by the local water patrol. I'm 28 & have had a boat since I was 18, had the fountain for about 5yrs now.
Nothing like being told you can't drive your boat for the rest of the day & to step aside to let my buddy behind the wheel & throttles because he is 30 although he's maybe drivin a boat 3-4 times & never a twin engine 70+mph boat not to mention on 1 of the busiest days of the year on the Ohio river around downtown Cincinnati... WHAT A JOKE, as they sat there & preached safety & did a safety inspection.
LOL... Ohio has been very open about needing this for our age... Must have missed the memo.

Funny thing, other states don't recoginze it. Being pulled over on LKN or Lanier - I havent been once asked for this.

Last edited by five cent worth; 08-21-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Registered

For the +2 yrs we boated and lived in ATL, I was shocked the amount of peeps we saw "bow riding" on Lanier. I know from boating numerous times in other areas - this was an instant ticket...
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problem being the bad guy. As the "capitan" of the vessel, you are responsible for the safety of everyone aboard. I really don't care if someone on my boat thinks I am to strickt. If they don't like my rules, then don't get aboard, period! Everyone that has taken a trip aboard my boat has returned to the dock.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
I often, way to often, see people doing stupid things that could easily end up like this or even worse. I see people riding on the front of a closed bow boat at speed. People tubing and skiing in busy shipping channels, transom riding, etc. I hate to sound like this, but there needs to be some laws in place that force people into a class before operating a watercraft. I realize you can't fix stupid, since some of these things don't come as common sense to some, maybe with some training you can bring it to their attention. I hope this girl recovers well, for a 17 year old girl, the scars from this accident will impact her through out her younger years.......
here in louisiana you cant ride on the fron un less its a open bow or cruser type with railing. also cant ride on the sun pad, unless you have a toe rail then its ok.

there was a guy a few weeks back that fell off the back and straddled the drive. prop cut him and bleed out befor anyone could help.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 PM
RL
Registered

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
These online coast guard courses are great for someone who has never ever been on the water.... Other wise 4hrs you'll never get back of your life!! So repetitive & repeating could easily be cut back to an hour! Learned nothing passed every quiz & test & still took 4hrs.

Found out it was mandatory for me to take this class a couple weeks ago when getting stopped by the local water patrol. I'm 28 & have had a boat since I was 18, had the fountain for about 5yrs now.
Nothing like being told you can't drive your boat for the rest of the day & to step aside to let my buddy behind the wheel & throttles because he is 30 although he's maybe drivin a boat 3-4 times & never a twin engine 70+mph boat not to mention on 1 of the busiest days of the year on the Ohio river around downtown Cincinnati... WHAT A JOKE, as they sat there & preached safety & did a safety inspection.
I just don't understand how you didn't know about this requirement. My daughter is 30, missed the cutoff date of Jan 1982 by 12 days, and I took the course with her when she was still in high school even though I grew up with boats. This is one area I don't mind being the bad guy and preaching the safety thing.

That being said, I hope the young girl heals OK and is up and around soon.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by five cent worth
LOL... Ohio has been very open about needing this for our age... Must have missed the memo.

Funny thing, other states don't recoginze it. Being pulled over on LKN or Lanier - I havent been once asked for this.
Got stopped 2 years ago during WEBN, never a word mentioned!! Been stopped @ Cumberland, not a word.... This time was Hamilton county(Cincinnati), we all know how money hungry they are!! Pulled me over because someone was standing & leaning on the back sunpad while under idle, feet on the floor .....

I missed the memo.... Guessing everyone is missing my point of the storie here, I passed every quiz, test 1st time & have owned the boat 5 years & they sit there & tell me I can't drive it. That someone who has ZERO experience has to drive it!!!!!

Last edited by jmoore1225; 08-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.