Notices

Safty

Old 08-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
I begin mentally "scanning" my surroundings as to not hit anything and watchout for boats heading in my direction.
This is something you do when you put the boat into gear, because you want to. If you forget, it will not happen.

Something that happens when you put the boat into gear has to be physical in my thoughts. Doesn't matter if I put it in gear or my one year old pushes the lever into gear.

I am guessing that you are talking about the fact that these outdrives do not create water and shoot it out from the prop. The prop displaces water and it has to come from somewhere, namely from in front of the propellor. At a slow speed, it will pull water from a wider cone in front of it. I deal with this on air handling equipment for dust collection. Pushed air will travel in a straight line pretty far, but pulled air will not pull in from that far away, much wider intake arc. Happens with freighters also. Can suck a boat under with that prop pulling that much water under the hull.

Closer?

Brian
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
This is something you do when you put the boat into gear, because you want to. If you forget, it will not happen.

Something that happens when you put the boat into gear has to be physical in my thoughts. Doesn't matter if I put it in gear or my one year old pushes the lever into gear.

I am guessing that you are talking about the fact that these outdrives do not create water and shoot it out from the prop. The prop displaces water and it has to come from somewhere, namely from in front of the propellor. At a slow speed, it will pull water from a wider cone in front of it. I deal with this on air handling equipment for dust collection. Pushed air will travel in a straight line pretty far, but pulled air will not pull in from that far away, much wider intake arc. Happens with freighters also. Can suck a boat under with that prop pulling that much water under the hull.

Closer?

Brian
Bingo. Thats what I was looking for.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Alpha= shift interrupt switch. SO when I put me boat into gear the first thing that happens is the motor cuts

I though it was funny...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by machloosy
Alpha= shift interrupt switch. SO when I put me boat into gear the first thing that happens is the motor cuts

I though it was funny...
LOL. Thats funny. An true
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

Safty is wehn you put yore landyard on befour you started yore engin.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Artie's safety thread would be a good place to ask some rules of the road questions...especailly if you are near some major port instead of just the local marina. Inland rules have even more weird stuff.
Here's a simple one...what does 3 short blasts of the horn mean?

Art
Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by inthetundra
Here's a simple one...what does 3 short blasts of the horn mean?

Art
Backing up.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=machloosy;3758708]Alpha= shift interrupt switch. SO when I put me boat into gear the first thing that happens is the motor cuts

if properly adjusted and working it should only interrupt when shifting out of gear
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered
VIP Member

If it is a new boat, it drops $30M in value....
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by machloosy

I though it was funny...
Been reading so many schematics, I do not know the names of all these parts yet. Only other boat was a small egg beater. (I learned that one here!)

Thought those switches were to keep the engines from starting in gear. I am getting there, but so much to learn. Still haven't found the brakes on the dang thing yet.....

Good thread.

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.