Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Extreme waterskiing - 2 skiers in excess of 120 mph! >

Extreme waterskiing - 2 skiers in excess of 120 mph!

Notices

Extreme waterskiing - 2 skiers in excess of 120 mph!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

300' is around what they run. Depends on how tight the river is. I personally hit a log at 110mph + and I can say it wasn't pleasant! A helicopter ride, 2 operations and months of therapy followed. Speed is a drug but and we all go back to it sooner or later!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Registered

bad ass and big balls thanks toffen
Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee, it is nice of them to slow all the way down to 80 mph for the u bends in the river! Jees!

Actually, I can't even imagine being the guy riding BACKWARDS in a boat going 80 to 100 curving down a river.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Kurt is there any ski racing going on here in the Eastern US? I'm a top Slalom skier who likes the ski racing idea. I've got a Maha racing ski and I enjoy skiing behind my DCB whenever I can talk my wife into pulling me. I've wanted to do something fun on Lake Cumberland like having an endurance run from one end of the lake to other.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
Actually, I can't even imagine being the guy riding BACKWARDS in a boat going 80 to 100 curving down a river.
I thought the same thing! I don't know what's more interesting -- being the skier or the shotgun rider. Anyone know what his arm movements mean and if the skiers can even see them?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freckles
I thought the same thing! I don't know what's more interesting -- being the skier or the shotgun rider. Anyone know what his arm movements mean and if the skiers can even see them?
Well, if it was me back there on the ski, it would be a signal to the chase boat on where to stop and pick up the floating piles of turds that would be falling out behind me!

Yeah, I had the same thought. Not like he is getting feedback hand signals from them I would think.

Brian

Edit: showed this to the guys at work. Pretty much the same responses as posted here with one exception. One guy saw it and said, "Wow, that is a really good rope!" Never thought of that I guess.

Last edited by befu; 08-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aw man... only 8 min of fun...turn around and go again!!!!!LOL
not me.
I would drive though.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi!

This is another story, but looks both fun and scary like hell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkF8...&feature=share

And a little video more I found... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1ah...eature=related

Cheeers, Toffen

Last edited by Toffen; 08-30-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Kurt is there any ski racing going on here in the Eastern US? I'm a top Slalom skier who likes the ski racing idea. I've got a Maha racing ski and I enjoy skiing behind my DCB whenever I can talk my wife into pulling me. I've wanted to do something fun on Lake Cumberland like having an endurance run from one end of the lake to other.
Sorry ski doc I couldn't tell you if there is any racing in that area. I live in Australia. I do know ski racing in the US has diminished in recent years and except for the Catalina island race race numbers have fallen to all time lows.
It's in contrast to what's happening here in Australia with entries at near all time highs and popularity growing. We do have a unique racing scene here with our river classics however (the video in this thread is at one of these).
The hand signals from the observer are directed at the skier. If a skier gives a signal to the observer or gets loose in any way the observer relays the signal (these days using on board intercom) to the driver then signals back to skier to show he acknowledges that signal. It's very re assuring at those speeds and when your on the edge to see the observer signal back as you can be sure he has seen your call or seen you get loose and dropped speed for you.
The worst thing about being the observer is the acceleration is so savage you are fighting the whole way to keep from being thrown on the engine!