Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   WAY O/T -- Cameras and e-bay (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/28369-way-o-t-cameras-e-bay.html)

X-Rated30 07-09-2002 09:18 PM

WAY O/T -- Cameras and e-bay

I am posting this here because the people on this board seem to know all about E-Bay and all about cameras.

First: I have been out of the mid-range priced 35-mm market for a little over a decade and I have heard Nikon quality has gone down. Several people have told me to stick to Canon. I am looking for an SLR to do some black and whites to be enlarged and framed. Your thoughts???

Second: Would you trust buying one on E-Bay to be what you expected upon delivery? Prices seem to be 20 to 50 percent less for "brand new" cameras.

Thanks, and if I see any of you on the water, I promise to burn a whole roll. (One shot is BOUND to come out good.):cool:

Audiofn 07-09-2002 09:23 PM

As far as buying on Ebay, there is no way I would. First off you have to find out if it has a US warrantee. Second there is the issue of trust and all that good stuff. I would look at photographic mags and get from there. They have good deals and the couple bucks you spend will be worth the piece of mind. Still make sure it has a US warantee.

As far as Nikon not being a quality camera that is just not true. Is it still the camera of most profesionals. Yes. Has Canon closed that Gap, they sure have. You will be happy with either cameras. If you want to go black and white you may want to look at medium format stuff as well. Then Ebay can be a good source.

Jon

X-Rated30 07-09-2002 09:37 PM

I would rather go medium format, but for what I will be doing, the price and later usefulness make a 35 SLR more practical.

Thanks for the input.

Cord 07-09-2002 10:54 PM

I use a Nikon N-60 and I absolutly love it! The camera is easy to use when you want to just point & shoot, it has some automatic features that let you do custom shots, and if I had the skills I could go full manual. Let's just say, that I'm a big fan of the camera!

gmhdfan 07-09-2002 11:52 PM

Don't worry about buying on ebay. Just check what positive feedback they have on SELLING stuff (not buying) If they take credit card go that way. If not use paypal and if you don't like what they send you call your credit card co. and put it in dispute. Don't bid on it till the last few hours. (no sense driving the price up) And if you have a dollar limit you want to pay, use the proxy bid and it will keep raising your bid to that amount or less if they stop bidding on it. I sell stuff all the time. Thats were I got my board name, it's my ebay seller name. Good Luck!:)

SunseekerNY 07-10-2002 12:48 AM

Do you want an autofocus SLR or one of the old manual ones? I have a Canon AE1 program - not an autofoucus. This is the camera I learned on and lugged around for over ten years. It is in working condition (I say that because there is no reason it should not be, however, I have not used it in a very long time). If you want it, give me your address. I also have a ton of lenses down to a fisheye, filters, etc. I need to drive back out to LI to get it, but that's not a big deal.

It's perfect for B+W, and I highly recommend the book, damn I have that too, but you have to return it. Duhhhh. The name of the book is Black and White Photography - A Basic Manual by Hornstein. I just looked up and it is directly above my computer. I'm in the wrong profession!

Someone else wanted another book from me. I have that one here too in the same place (I picked them all up from my dad's about two weeks ago). I don't remember your name, and you never sent an address according to my e-mail records, however, I could be wrong. My computer has the Klutz virus, and that is why I don't send e-mail unless absolutely necessary. Don't ask. It's not as easy as you think to get rid of.

Best regards,
Jennifer

candyman35 07-10-2002 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
KaamaScarab30,
I have bought model trains on ebay and have had very good luck. Check their seller profile. I would not buy from someone who doesn’t take a credit card or Paypal.

I tried to purchase a camera about a month ago and was shocked at how many Magazine camera stores and Internet sites had false info. You need to make sure it has a US warranty. I was surprised to read so many reviews on companies that promised a US camera and sent out European models. WTF! I ordered my first Camera form World trade digital. I requested one-day air. I had the sales man physically check stock. He came back to the phone and described the box insuring me it was a US camera. I gave my credit card number and went to work. When I returned home I found this email. "

Thank you for shopping with Worldtradedigital.com.
We regret to inform you that the item you had purchased is currently on back
order.

We have been shipping these items according to the order number and date we
received it.
Due to overwhelming demand for the item you have ordered, we are unable at
this time to fulfill your order, we will do our utmost to fill this order
when the manufacturer allocates more of this item to our warehouse which may
take 3-4 weeks to be fulfilled.

At this time we can offer you the following:
-Hold the order with us, and wait for it to be fulfilled
-You may have the order cancelled

If you choose to cancel your order you may simply reply to this email or you
can call us and speak to one of our representatives,"

After repeated threatening calls I finally received an email confirming my cancellation of the order.

I get back on the phone an order a camera from Buy Rite camera. I tell this salesman the story about WTD. He says he hears that all the time. I order the camera from him to be one day aired to me. He tells me the Tracking numbers will be emailed to me. The numbers never come. :mad: I call the next morning to see if they even shipped the item. They said it shipped and gave me the tracking numbers. They shipped it two-day air and not one day. It gets better! UPS sends the Camera to the wrong service center.

It shouldn't be that hard. Be careful whom you buy your camera from. I still got the camera in time to do some Rail Fanning!:)

Dan

puder 07-10-2002 02:09 AM

i have a canon REBEL EOS. It has manual mode and FULL auto so its turns into basically a point and shoot with a kickin zoom. I hav doen a ton of BW with it (for school) and actually just bought a full dark room setup (off of ebay, just for fun) for $200. Enlarger, bulkloaders, tanks, dryers, safe lights, easels, grain focuser, trays, the whole deal. And once my boat is finished i can actually set it all up.

jb 07-10-2002 09:55 AM

I have the rebel 2000 as well. I looked on ebay and did major research. I bought the photo mags and found in the pages a reputable dealer and got a better deal through them. I was able to haggle for extra equipment like bags, tripods film, filters...etc.
Just be carefuil some of these dealers have knock-offs you or I could not tell. Ask for US warranties.
Most of the adds in the mags have "KIT PRICING" that have upgraded lenses and such. That is how I got my best deal. I found a dealer that had a sales rep who was helpful(a very hard part of the process).
Some of the NEW York city companies were hard to find a friendly rep!!!
I reccommend getting the magazines like PHOTO,modern photography...etc even camcorder magazines.
Definately worth the time.
Most have 800 numbers
call several get the bast deal and tell them all you are calling around to get the best deal.
Now I want a new lense after all the typing!!!

SunseekerNY 07-10-2002 10:36 AM

Originally posted by puder
i have a canon REBEL EOS. It has manual mode and FULL auto so its turns into basically a point and shoot with a kickin zoom. I hav doen a ton of BW with it (for school) and actually just bought a full dark room setup (off of ebay, just for fun) for $200. Enlarger, bulkloaders, tanks, dryers, safe lights, easels, grain focuser, trays, the whole deal. And once my boat is finished i can actually set it all up.
OOOOOO! Can I play too? I want to turn on the "red light."

Jennifer