Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Converting a race boat to a pleasure boat? >

Converting a race boat to a pleasure boat?

Notices

Converting a race boat to a pleasure boat?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a race boat to a pleasure boat?

If you found a really good deal on a race boat is it worth it to convert it to a pleasure boat. With that being said where is the best place to have this done? Glass shop?rigging shop? Is there some places that can do the whole project from start to finish? TnT? Grants custom rigging? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kirk
Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would go back to the factory to have it done, alot of people have called me about cutting the top off speedy and making it a 5 seater, that can be done really easy for about 20-40k depending on options, but i would always have the factory do it for resale, just my .02
Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 PM
KN
Registered

This is an open cockpit boat, the stand up bolsters are towards the stern and the dash is half way back into the cockpit, so that would need to be cut out and glass work done, all the gauges moved forward new seats installed etc.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by KN
If you found a really good deal on a race boat is it worth it to convert it to a pleasure boat. With that being said where is the best place to have this done? Glass shop?rigging shop? Is there some places that can do the whole project from start to finish? TnT? Grants custom rigging? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kirk
I have no valuable information to give you other than my $.02 opinion. If there was a really good deal get it done. Life is too short to say, "I wish I would have done that, or I wish I could a, I wish I should a..."

I have often thought that making the Motley Crew race boat a four seater would be an awesome pleasure boat with the 525's that are in it. I only need the $$$,$$$ to buy it, now that is another story. The Roman's may not like the idea, I have always liked their boat, and I always try to follow all of the NJ based race teams and and their boats. That is an aweseome Skater.

Go for it!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

It just kills me when people talk about making a pleasure boat out of a race boat. Why not just buy a pleasure boat to start with?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
It just kills me when people talk about making a pleasure boat out of a race boat. Why not just buy a pleasure boat to start with?
Because you can get a raceboat for much cheaper usually....

Of course it is usually because it is a ragged out, delamed, hunk of rotten balsa with a 300 hour, 100% WOT all the time engine in it that winds up costing more to convert to pleasure, rebuild/replace the engine, and fix everything else that is wrong with it than it would to just go pleasure in the first place.....
Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Philm
Because you can get a raceboat for much cheaper usually....

Of course it is usually because it is a ragged out, delamed, hunk of rotten balsa with a 300 hour, 100% WOT all the time engine in it that winds up costing more to convert to pleasure, rebuild/replace the engine, and fix everything else that is wrong with it than it would to just go pleasure in the first place.....
KN, you're a funny guy..... 40k budget and you want to redo an entire race boat? I officially vote you tire kicker of the year.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:01 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KN
This is an open cockpit boat, the stand up bolsters are towards the stern and the dash is half way back into the cockpit, so that would need to be cut out and glass work done, all the gauges moved forward new seats installed etc.
It sounds like you may be eyeballing an Apache, correct????
Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
KN, you're a funny guy..... 40k budget and you want to redo an entire race boat? I officially vote you tire kicker of the year.
Not a tire kicker. He bought my Fountain raceboat in 2000 and other boats since! Family and business make people shop a little different than they may have in the past.

Steve
Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
Kinda unnecessary. The guy asks alot of questions before buying and wants to get the most for his money. I got no problem with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.