Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
looking for some opinions on an 86 29' scarab >

looking for some opinions on an 86 29' scarab

Notices

looking for some opinions on an 86 29' scarab

Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe one, well 3 things I like about the boat, are the fuel injected engines, the hull design, and the paint scheme. I'm not worried about paint, I've done quite a bit in the past, and would be doing that myself.

THe transom I would send out. THe rest, I'm more of a diy. I'd probably go through the drives and engines just because thats how I am.

I'm debating if I wanna offer them 10k for it or not. THere is a 79 30' scarab with twin 454 up right now without a trailer for around 4500. Kind of a pain to get a trailer, and I would be painting it and rebuilding the engines as well. RIght now about 14k is my budget, as I am buying a house in about 2 months, and dont wanna dip too low into my savings.

As for the paint upkeep, I assume that is mostly if the boat is moored or stored outside? I dont plan on mooring the boat, and plan on keeping it inside. uv is a ***** lol, and amazing boats don't need to be stuck outside rotting.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

There are boats out there for the price range that don't need the transom and paint done, I will tell you also that if it needs a transom it probably needs more then that and after doing transom, paint, engines, buying boat...... you WILL easily exceed your budget even doing it yourself, there are so many little things that add up while your in there doing it all, trust me I sunk way more money into my 32 Baja then I thoight I would, finally before more floor work and paint I said nah, found my Cig that needed nothong but engines, the boats are out there, gotta look around...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like previously said, if the transom is soft, with that old of a boat there is most likely other issues that can't be seen. Even at $10k, I think its too much.... Fuel injection is great, but I would not buy a soft boat just because it has fuel injection.......

I know this is an apples to oranges comparison... But I bought my 2003 Velocity 260 a few years back for $18k. It was just in need of cosmetic work (cockpit vinyl was faded). But it was usable. The first season, we used vinyl dye to make the interior look better. Then in the offseason spent $4k and redid the entire cockpit. Basically where I am going with this is you are better off looking for a boat that is structurally and mechanically sound that needs cosmetics, than you are buying one that needs structural. You will be spending way more money than you think fixing that scarab...

As far as paint goes... I had an olde Baja 250 with a grey and blue color scheme. I kept the boat under a full length cover that covered the entire hull sides. I could spend an entire weekend polishing the boat to a mirror finish. Yet one day on the water and it looked 20 years old again. Once a gel coat finish gets to that point it is gone. Regardless of where you store it. Without seeing that scarab in person I can't say for sure if it is beyond saving or not. But it looks like it is. Plus red and black are the two hardest colors to keep up. So I would assume a full repaint is in order.... Even if you do it your self, materials cost are going up by the day.... Plus figure your own time spent.

Also keep in mind trs drives are strong. But will be costly to fix as parts are limited and costly. Also these have transmissions.. More moving parts, more to go wrong. A bravo boat with stock 502s, 454s, 496s is practically bullet proof.. Even when in need of repair, are fairly inexpensive to repair /replace.

Last edited by low_psi; 09-20-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Registered

I went ahead and had a hull survey done on the boat today. THe guy said he was really suprised at how good the hull was for it's age.THe only spot he found was the same small soft spot I found, and said the rest of the transom was very good. THe stringers were in excellent condition with no other soft spots.

He quited me 5-600 for the repair above the trim tab. I was quite suprised actually.

I put a down on the boat to hold it. Got them down to 11800.

I'm going to go take a second look at the boat today and go over it with a comb with a buddy.

At this point if I am happy, I will go drop another 400 or so on a full mechanical survey.

I'm also doing some truck shopping right now. I'm looking for probably a older 80s or 90s 1 ton chevy or ford. Any idea if I can get by without a dually? If this thing weighs in at about 6900, plus a steel trailer.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get by with a 3/4 ton truck of that vintage without a problem. The newer 1/2 ton trucks are rated to haul over 10000 pounds. I would just suggest a 4X4. Nothing like getting stuck on a wet ramp. A few years back I saw a guy in a brand new Dodge dually diesel, still had temp tags in the window, stuck on a ramp at LOTO with a MTI on the trailer. Between the truck and boat easily over a half million invested but just forgot a couple of grand for the front axle.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

I bet this ends up costing over 20k easy before it's said and done.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Then add the price of a tow vehicle.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
I bet this ends up costing over 20k easy before it's said and done.

How so? Picking up a 1 ton dually 454 for around a grand. Runs good and will get me the whole 15 miles from the house to the river. Party on wayne!

I'm happy to be getting this boat, spent the money on surveys, and the boat checked out excellent. Gonna take it for a few winter rides before I store it for the winter.

Gotta love oregon, no one wants a power boat, everyone wants an aluminum fishing boat. Which is exactly what this boat was traded in for lol.

Last edited by airbats801; 11-09-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Congratulations great looking panther
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered

nice panther, you will love it! sounds like you scored it at a great price too, nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.