Notices

YouTube...

Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YouTube...

I know we all love to get on YouTube and watch the GoPro videos of us going fast and running close with other boats etc... There are even a few of me on there but shouldn't we consider for a second that if we have objectionable behavior or close calls or god forbid a accident... Couldn't we keep it to ourselves?

The government and the insurance companies are out there waiting to change our lives and regulate us and our big horsepower machines. It isn't like we aren't high profile enough with our loud paint and exhaust noise. They want to raise our rates and our deductibles and look for everything under the sun to deny a claim or cancel our coverage. It's bad enough that things happen and people aren't always safe when you add testosterone and HP and a lot of times a few beers people act foolishly. Just look at the video from the Fountain accident at LOTO. It has went viral and on newscasts around the country. People already think we are unsafe because I can go out and run my boat 2 times the speed limit on the interstate... Those people have not only hurt themselves but now they have hurt us all.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
shouldn't we consider for a second that if we have objectionable behavior or close calls or god forbid a accident... Couldn't we keep it to ourselves?
+1

3 years ago to the date my friend had an incident and I saved him from drowning. Whole thing was caught on gopro. Never posted it publicly...

Last edited by Panther; 09-03-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=gofastlvr;3768028]I know we all love to get on YouTube and watch the GoPro videos of us going fast and running close with other boats etc... There are even a few of me on there but shouldn't we consider for a second that if we have objectionable behavior or close calls or god forbid a accident... Couldn't we keep it to ourselves?

That's one perspective I suppose but I think there is tremendous value in sharing those hair raising experiences so others can learn from them.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Who on that boat, would actually post that vid of the fountain... Everyone on the boat got F..ed up. I have watched it 10 times now.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Registered

I know this may be dis-jointed,
We have only the one video. The boat is not moving real fast in the beginning. Between the passengers we can see the wake and the speed seems to be in the 20 to 30 mph realm. There is a blink in the recording, maybe only a second, likely not long. It seems to me that the entire clip is an acceleration.
It seems that the driver gets set and then accelerates and guns it into the "wave set", or some wave action.
Am I seeing it right?
I have heard no explanation for the severe throttle actions.
We know that the whole thing was not intentional.
Most of the time we are just having too much fun or trying to.

The Cruisers Wake did not cause the accident, it was just there like the water and the other boats, and had to be dealt with. The entire weekend is a wave jumble from other clips shown; therefore wakes and rough water are part of the deal.
I do not see any of the passengers yelling for more speed, but we do not know what they told him beforehand, or agreed to.

The severe throttle action is what has me puzzled.

I believe all the posts are just asking for an explanation.

Footnote:
I believe most posts are not vindictive. They are reactions to what is seen. Sometimes we react with more emotion than other times. We cannot perceive what is going on, and in this one cannot see ahead and what the driver saw. "What the ..... is happening?"

On any day, the driver is the only one "connected" to the action. Wheel, Throttle, position, anticipation, bracing for actions; therefore the rest of the crew is just floating about in the boat. They are not victims per se', but have no clue what may be going on in the drivers head until the action is taken. Speed decreases the time they can react.

We hope to learn something from all this pain.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Those people = laketv. They boosted their ratings at "our" expense.

In order for anything fun/dangerous/cool/illegal to survive in our society... the group of people must be tight knit - and structured. They must truely believe in the action as a whole.

Read on here 100 times that "they" are going to shut down "our" fun... How are they going to do that? Their boats arent fast enough... and they only hold a few people... Cant arrest 100 go fast captains til we hit land - water doesnt have the option of a road block? The problem is exactly what you said... broadcasting to the entire world our business.

I dont care what they say or do... ill always go down to the marina, make my way to open water and then let er eat. If "they" wanna stop me they better get some better hardware, or just kill me.

"When the fun is outlawed only outlaws will have fun"
Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"When the fun is outlawed only outlaws will have fun"

Where do I sign?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Registered

Laketv never should have released a video showing people being injured like that. From what I hear, (second person) it was put out without Tripps permission. Between this and the video of Docs SVL cutting no wake buoys, it sure put a LOTO in a bad light last weekend.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Redbud... i totally agree.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty interesting thread. Those onboard recording devices & posting it on Youtube is all the rage nowadays. Yes, I believe it will give the Law the opportunity to review a bad situation & make decisions that will affect the other powerboaters(not involved) adversely. Damn shame.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 09-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.