1979 Pantera 2005 MB502, 1979 Borg Tranny and 1979 TRS Drive - failure >

1979 Pantera 2005 MB502, 1979 Borg Tranny and 1979 TRS Drive - failure

Notices

1979 Pantera 2005 MB502, 1979 Borg Tranny and 1979 TRS Drive - failure

Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
I like the custom length input shaft. Alot less work and less worry of motor alignment and such
who could make that?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
I had this exact same problem years ago on my 24 Banana Boat.

The transom was made thicker than the industry standard 2.25" hence the yoke engagement was not enough and stripped out the input yoke (MercTrans)

I made a longer than stock yoke from a spare I had. -It had been that way for years just took a while to finally strip out.

Kurt
biggus has the idea.. he would be the one to ask. im sure a good machine shop or driveshaft shop(fleetpride, universal joint sales) somewhere like that could make that no sweat
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
I like the custom length input shaft. Alot less work and less worry of motor alignment and such
No doubt. Drilling extra holes in the stringers an inch or so away from the existing ones would be low on my list! (Unless you had new custom motor mounts fabricated)

Good luck with the fix.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by forabeer
No doubt. Drilling extra holes in the stringers an inch or so away from the existing ones would be low on my list! (Unless you had new custom motor mounts fabricated)

Good luck with the fix.
I think that wold likely be the easiest... make new angles but offset the stringer mounting holes.

Last edited by Holy Smokes; 09-07-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

DO you love me ? Wait I forgot to tell you ! As long as you don't have a rear motor plate , I can't tell from the pic's ...Take your tranny to a metal fab shop and have them make a spacer for the front of it 3/8 thick and put it back together . You should have a good amount of tranny shaft still in your flex plate and it lasted ten years the old way so an extra 3/8 of shaft should be good for 20 more .. No redrilling mounts , No cutting exhaust and No more problem lol ! Extending the yoke is the easiest way , they also make a shaft bearing center thats longer then yours but based on the pic you posted with the dip stick in it , It doesn't look like your tranny as deep in your gimble as it needs to be . That would cause your tranny to move and seperate from the shaft as it did .

Last edited by OCCJoe; 09-08-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CHAOS REIGNS
who could make that?
We made it at a buddies machine shop. I cut the end off the stripped yoke and cut the spline end off another yoke I had, we machined a step into the parts, pressed them together and welded them together, then machined the surface on a lathe. It was really no big deal, done in a couple hrs, Any decent machine shop should be able to handle it with ease.

If you don't have a good Merctrans female yoke, I'm sure someone here has one. -I recently saw a new one on Boston Craigslist.

Kurt
Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
We made it at a buddies machine shop. I cut the end off the stripped yoke and cut the spline end off another yoke I had, we machined a step into the parts, pressed them together and welded them together, then machined the surface on a lathe. It was really no big deal, done in a couple hrs, Any decent machine shop should be able to handle it with ease.

If you don't have a good Merctrans female yoke, I'm sure someone here has one. -I recently saw a new one on Boston Craigslist.

Kurt
thanks - i'm going to look at getting one made. big question is how much longer do i make it?