Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT..would  like to start building a sound system.... >

OT..would like to start building a sound system....

Notices

OT..would like to start building a sound system....

Old 07-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT..would like to start building a sound system....

My Kenwood Head Unit Is Going Cd Played Quit And The Radio Cuts Out When I Turn It Up Load.... So Can You Guys Help Me Figure This Stuff Out, I Need A New Head Unit, Maybe A Amp (Never Had One Before) And 2 New Speakers..... I Will Start With A Head Unit First, Let Me Know The Best Brand... I Don't Want To Spend Over $500.00... I Will Be Installing My Self... I Would Like To Here The Radio When I Am Cruising 35-50MPH..... Any Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated....

Thanks, Jeff
Old 07-11-2002, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No advice but...

Im doing the same thing myself and could realy use some help ..I stopped messing with car tunes about 10 years ago ..Everything ive bought recently had good factory sounds already ..Lets hear it guys..
Old 07-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Registered

I'm definitely not an expert, but here's my $0.02 on this. Try to buy quality components and allow yourself room to upgrade down the road. For head units, I'd look for one with 2 RCA pre-outs, possibly 3 sets of RCA pre-outs if you plan to build a bigger system eventually. The RCA pre-outs will alow you to easily add amplifiers to your system down the road. If you think that you will want to add a CD changer, look for a head unit that is also a changer controller. Several companies now make wired remote controls for the head units that you can mount on your dash, transom, etc. so that you can maount the head unit in a protected location. I have a Sony head unit with one remote mounted on the dash and a second remote mounted on the transom to play with the system when we're swimming off the back of the boat.

Good luck, there are a lot of people on this board that can give you good advice. You may also want to search
Old 07-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Registered

I can help you get the best deals on just about anything. Feel free to call my office at (813)882-8477.

Andy Buzz
Old 07-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Registered

Clarion makes great marine audio gear. Depending on where you mount your head unit you may or may not need a "marine head unit" if its going to get wet buy clarion marine if not dont worry about it. Same goes for speakers. Clarion makes marine head units that are compatibale with wired remotes that you can place anywhere on your boat. Like steamin rice said get a H.U. with at least 2 sets of pre amp outputs, this is pretty common with newer head units.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Were is your head unit located now? Would you want to be able to control it from the dash? I always recommend Marine radios for boats because even though they are not directly getting wet in a cabin they are subjected to a lot more moisture then normal. Also some head units allow as has been said for remotes that are wired. Due to sunlight IR ones can be a problem from time to time. Clarion makes my favorite head unit for marine aplications. Their remote is the same size as your guages and you can have more then one if you want. Say one at the helm and one in the V-berth, or even at the swim platform.

If you want to hear it at high speeds you will need a amp. My most popular system that I install is a pair of 6.5" components by Clarion, Babb 6X9's, and two 10" Subs. This can all be powered by a 5 channel amp and will sound real good.

Jon