Stupid ramp tricks, witnessed tonight in Holland, MI

Notices

Stupid ramp tricks, witnessed tonight in Holland, MI

Old 07-11-2002, 01:10 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid ramp tricks, witnessed tonight in Holland, MI

I have my boat tied to the ramp, park my truck, and return to my boat. Just as I'm about to get in, I hear and FEEL a very large BANG!!! Well, in the ramp next to me (across the dock) a guy was launching a 22' Larson cuddy boat. Turns out it was a salesman doing a trial run for a sale. Well, salesman is in the boat, prospective buyer is backing the boat up. Seems the salesman thought it was a bunk trailer and undid the bow strap. Made it about 3/4 of the way down the ramp before the boat launched itself. WHAM!!! Onto the cement. Boat BOUNCES into the water and is now drifting away with the salesman. Rambunctious and I quickly throw him a line and haul him back to the dock. They put the boat back on the trailer. This is a conventional v-hull. No pad. Well, it has one now!!! The last 6" of the hull are now flat. Nice and smooth!!! And the bullit on the Alpha drive also has a nice flat section to it also. They hauled it away to the shop a little ways down the road. Rambunctious warm up our boats and in about 10 minutes, this guy is re-launching the boat. Man, I'd have had that drive checked out first. Not to mention that there is now exposed fiberglass on the bottom!!

Wonder if he sold it?????

And I never unhook the bow before backing up, even with a bunk trailer. Just never know what will happen!!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 01:35 AM
Registered

It’s a shame you didn't have a video camera. Sounds like it would have been a $10,000.00 winner.
Dan
Old 07-11-2002, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I inevitably end up launching by myself. I back in until the boat F311SR1 gets a bit loose on the trailer. I then walk back and undo the bow strap and climb on the nose, fire her up and tie to the dock. Then go pull out the truck and park it. I usually manage to do this much quicker than the spuds with ten people helping.

I do agree about the undoing of the strap you just never know
Old 07-11-2002, 01:47 AM
Registered

Originally posted by mcollinstn
I inevitably end up launching by myself. I back in until the boat F311SR1 gets a bit loose on the trailer. I then walk back and undo the bow strap and climb on the nose, fire her up and tie to the dock. Then go pull out the truck and park it. I usually manage to do this much quicker than the spuds with ten people helping.

I do agree about the undoing of the strap you just never know
That's because you have a clue. We are talking about people who have made an art form out of launching! I have seen the same people at my launch that are clueless after ten years of launching at the same ramp. It's even better when they blame their wife’s for there stupidity. That’s when the fireworks begin.
Dan
Old 07-11-2002, 01:49 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

mcollinst, we do it much the same. My girlfriend is pretty much usless around the ramp. I can back up, fire up, tie to the dock, and park in about 4 minutes if no-one helps me. 5 minutes if someone tries to help!! LOL!!!! I'd actually rather do it all myself....you know what they say, if you want a job done right, do it yourself!! And I'm always ready to go when I hit the water. Cooler is on board, line is ready, bilge blower is already running. All I have to do is float the boat and turn the key. Then it's off to the waves!!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

amen..
Old 07-11-2002, 02:30 AM
Boating Fool

It is pretty sad. I have been backing my dad down the ramp for a little over a year and I always hit the marks on depth. Never have a problem with the cat.

Last weekend, I unloaded the Outlaw 25 we have for sale. It was my first time doing this. I made us look like champs. Dad backed the truck to edge of the water and undid the strap. Then he backed her on down in, as I was floating on the trailer I was firing the engine and backing her off. Couple of minutes tops.

Loading (first time too) was about the same. I hit the marks for the trailer, he just did not have me deep enough. He backed up a little. I gave a little gas to move up more. Then a couple of cranks and we were gone.

I think I would have embarrassed some of these people who have done it for a while.

Old 07-11-2002, 08:12 AM
Registered

I saw the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago on Alum Creek with a giant Bayliner only it came off the trailer towards the top of the ramp about 20ft. from the water. I think someone said that they actually shoved the boat down the ramp and into the water with a truck. Last weekend in West Harbor I saw a guy with his (borrowed) jeep try to launch his jetski and lost the whole dam rig under water. I swear some people just dont think about what the hell they are doing.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

The same ones that don't think about what they're doing at the ramp are the ones with no idea of what safety equipment to have onboard and drive like they are the only ones on the lake. These are the people that scare me!
Old 07-11-2002, 09:10 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with you GOfoBroke!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Stupid ramp tricks, witnessed tonight in Holland, MI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.