Notices

Nada

Old 07-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Strike

What about the trailer does your program include this on used boats.

It kind of makes you wonder what the NADA is for. I have seen others, I think it is BUC values or somthing and thay seem to be in the middle of you and the NADA. I wonder if the dealers just use the highest formula they can find. Sure wouldn't blame them. Buy low sell high. I mean if they all say they use the national avg. who is telling the truth and who is full of bs. I wonder who the bank uses to value boats for loans?

Russ
Old 07-11-2002, 04:48 PM
Registered

I think they only publish the price for a boat equipped with standard power.

there is a window that allowes you to upgrade to available HP on the NADA site.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Registered

ABOS allows you to ad a trailer upgrade as well as the NADA book. You do need the specific model to be accurate.
Certain areas of the country can draw more money for boats, but not ours. It seems that the mid-west is the highest. It depends on ecconomic status for an area, at least it seems that way.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:10 AM
Registered

Strike,

Thanks for your input. It's best to be as educated as you can be when buying a boat. I sure don't want to totaly lowball somebody but at the same time there is no way I would buy over book and go into nagative eq. right off the bat.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:55 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

NADA, BUC, BLUE, and NATIONAL are all guides. "Only", and not to be taken as fact. As you fella's mentioned, there are many other conditions to be considered when making a valuation for a purchase.
A boat purchase to most of us will be the second largest next to a home or auto. These types of decision's need to be well researched. As a professional in this field, I do look at the books. However I also look at that particular vessel with great scrutiny, not my heart.
Then I do a thorough market search and find many comparables. Also a look at replacement cost, and manufacturuer history. After all this is considered the economy comes into play.
Now place a value on the item.
My recomendation would always be to hire a surveyor pay a few buck's and see the true story !
Remember "BUYER BEWARE"
Old 07-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Registered

Here's what NADA says about it's values on boats:

Value Explanation — N.A.D.A. has been collecting, analyzing, and publishing used values since 1933. The retail values listed are a guideline for appraisal purposes only. These values should be used strictly as a reference source for valuing used vessels. It is not, and should not be considered absolute. The values are a reflection of the boats condition and popularity. It may be necessary to adjust listed values to meet market conditions in your area. While on line values are similar to other N.A.D.A. published values, these values are intended for retail consumer use.

Low Retail Value — A low retail valued boat will show excessive wear and tear either cosmetically and/or mechanically. This boat will require cosmetic or mechanical work and may or may not be in running order. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. Low retail vessels usually are not found on a dealer's lot.

Average Retail Value — An average retail valued boat should be in good condition with no visible damage or defects. This boat will show moderate wear and tear and will be in sound running condition. The buyer might need to invest in either minor cosmetic or mechanical work.

Note: Vessels in exceptional condition can be worth a significantly higher value than the Average Retail Price shown.

Note the last paragraph here...

Ted
Old 07-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Too Old
When I check NADA against ASKING prices at boattraderonline, I find NADA to be low.
I sure "hope" NADA is low, but BUC is smoking something. NADA lists the Formula at $30-38k, BUC at $82-90. If anyone from BUC wants to stop by tonight I'll have the keys ready

-Greg
Old 07-12-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Ok, so we all say NADA is low and only gives average retail. If you go to BOATS.COM they use a form of NADA that gives a higher value than average retail. They call this high retail and was much closer the (average retail) BUC values. Buc gives a window for average retail and then states.

Condition
Number Often Called Description Percent to be added or subtracted
1 Excellent (Bristol) Maintained in mint or bristol fashion-usually better than factory new-and loaded with extras-a rarity Plus 15-20%
2 Above BUC condition Has had above average care and eqipped with extra electrical and electronic gear Plus 10-15%
3 BUC Condition Ready for sale requiring no additional work and normally equipped for her size No Adjustment Necessary
4 Fair Requires usual maintenance to prepare for sale Minus 10-20%
5 Poor Substantial yard work required and devoid of extras Minus 25-50%
6 Restorable Enough of hull and engine exists to restore the boat to useable condition. Minus 50-80%

The boat I am going to bid on is a 1990 Formula 272 7.4s vary clean, no extra electronics other than standard. I would put this boat in group 2.
So BUC gives a window of:

retail 30,400 to 33,700 USD
I believe the boat to be in group 2 + 15% of 33,700 =5,055 = 38,755 for a high price.
10% of 30,400= 3,040 = 33,440 for a low price

33,440 to 38,775 does this sound like what this boat is worth.
If it was your boat would you be insulted with an offer in this range.

Russ
Old 07-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Registered

Note: Vessels in exceptional condition can be worth a significantly higher value than the Average Retail Price shown.
Ted,
What would you consider to be significantly higher?

Russ